Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Inspire me - what colour is your nannies/au pair's room?

(14 Posts)
Weegle Mon 17-Aug-09 14:12:43

Am planning re-decoration scheme for the whole house (wow, I'm loving it) and can't decide what to go for in the AP's room. We have always gone with white walls, bright accessories and bedding, and lots of cork board space for them. What have you got? And have your nannies/AP's generally liked them?

To help - the furniture is pine and the floor will be carpeted in a neutral colour.

colditz Mon 17-Aug-09 14:27:55

Oh this is SUCH a MN thread, it's so gratifying, in these days of Kerry Katona's septal speculation, to see a good old fashioned, delivered-by-ocado Mn thread.

FWIW, I'd go for a lovely primrose yellow.

colditz Mon 17-Aug-09 14:28:00

Oh this is SUCH a MN thread, it's so gratifying, in these days of Kerry Katona's septal speculation, to see a good old fashioned, delivered-by-ocado Mn thread.

FWIW, I'd go for a lovely primrose yellow.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LoveMyGirls Mon 17-Aug-09 14:29:42

I think yellow is nice, not too offensive but cheery, so even if the sun isn't shining it will make her feel happy. Will go well with pine and the cork sounds like a god idea so she can pin pictures of her friends and family up.

MrAnchovy Mon 17-Aug-09 14:33:55

The carpet, walls, curtains and duvet cover are all (different shades of) mauve. Really. They all seem to have liked it. Really.

grin

If I was that cynical, I'd pick a less stereotypical name than colditz :p

catepilarr Mon 17-Aug-09 14:35:10

my walls here are very pale cream colour. the carpet is sort of light braun. its not a 'designed' room and i wouldnt give a damn if it was. i prefer it funcional. ok if it is in a colour scheme as well and looks nice there's nothing wrong with that ;)
my previous rooms had white, light blue, braun walls. one had white wallpaper with blue prints, curtains and bedsheets in the same sort of style. i liked the bedroom but it wasnt any use for anything else then sleeping.
i am sure you are a thoughtfull person and make the room nice and useful.

Weegle Mon 17-Aug-09 16:05:47

lol @ Colditz grin

isn't yellow going to look so twee B&B sunshiney with the pine... the pine's not really ideal but that's the furniture we have and it's perfectly ok just not what I would choose now...

QuintessentialShadows Mon 17-Aug-09 16:09:27

All my au pairs used to love their room, it had cornflower blue walls (very pale blue), navy curtains, a natural soft wool wall to wall carpet, navy downlight lampshade. Bedding and cushions in shades of blue. Honey coloured pine furniture. Table lamp on chest of drawers with navy lampshade.

(The room had been ds1s nursery)

colditz Mon 17-Aug-09 16:19:16

I love the twee b&b look.

dreamteamgirl Mon 17-Aug-09 21:48:05

I dont get the Kerry Catona part of this thread, hmm but just in case this is serious ...

I have done my APs room in pale yellow
It has cream carpets (came with house NOT what I would have picked), dark blue blind and curtains and blue/ pine furniture (you know the stuff from Argos) and I have chosen pinky/ strawberry/ mulberry towels for her

Bedding is bright yellow and pale blue

happynanny22 Tue 18-Aug-09 03:37:04

Personally I would prefer what you initially suggested - white, white, white with a bright pink duvet cover or something. :-)

I can't bare coloured walls - but I am very fussy.

Weegle Tue 18-Aug-09 07:16:25

for interest's sake - I also asked current AP. She was pretty adamant it should be blue - that could work quite well but wonder if it would feel cold in a downstairs room?

happynanny we've always gone with white and bright accessories because then each AP can pretty much make their own stamp on it. It's interesting as to which bedding and towels they clearly favour though! They've all loved the bright pink/multi striped stuff, second choice is greens/blues funky flowers, and third and trailing dismally is the blue more muted bedding - so thinking maybe pale walls (white/blue/yellow) is the way to go with lots of bright accessories.

DrEvil Tue 18-Aug-09 08:25:02

Ours is ds2's old nursery; it's painted apple white, has a white and pink polka dot blind, white bed linen, cream carpet, green ikea throw and a few plain and floral cushions in green/pink/beige. It has pine furniture too.

I can't say whether she likes it or not as she's arriving today but I enjoyed choosing stuff for a girls bedroom after having 2 ds's!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now