Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

After EYFS?Help needed PLEASE!!

(8 Posts)
newishminder Sun 16-Aug-09 21:59:44

Hello all
Im needing help on what I have to do with children after the have completed the EYFS stage.
I have 3 children in the school holidays that are over 5.
Im not very good at wording these things, so I apoligise if I havent made myself very clear.
I know what to do with the EYFS stage but not for over 5's.
Thanks
nm

atworknotworking Mon 17-Aug-09 07:32:56

Do you mean in relationship to paperwork or activities?

HSMM Mon 17-Aug-09 08:09:18

Are you talking about observation and planning? I carry on doing observations, but I link them to curriculum subjects, rather than EYFS.

I still keep a daily diary but I don't do obs and assessments - you don't have to.

Regarding activities, just carry on doing what you normally would - personally I find older children easier to entertain than littlies.

newishminder Mon 17-Aug-09 21:45:27

Hiya
sorry all!Yes I mean in relation to planning and obs.
Obviously for the EYFS I do planning and then the obs and link it to the different areas and then do next stage.
But with the over 5s I wasnt sure on how to go about that.
Ive done heaps of activities with alot of them being led by them and their interests. I have only just starting having these children (all the same family)so alot of the time its been getting to know them. But of course I want to record anything that I need to and not get anything wrong or miss anything out.
NM

atworknotworking Tue 18-Aug-09 07:16:34

As far as I understand it their is no requirement to record a childs progress for the over 5's, I certainly don't, have enough to do with all the other stuff.

Just do general planning that fits with the topics for the younger children, but a bit more appropriate stuff for the older ones. I think that when the children have been at school all day and come back with homework, they have had enough educational stuff for one day, and they want to chill out and play for a bit.

But maybee someone else on here will probably post that we are supposed to be liking to the curriculum.shock

HSMM pleeeeese tell me it's not a requirement.

HSMM Tue 18-Aug-09 08:08:59

I don't think we are REQUIRED to do anything after EYFS, except stick them in the corner and throw them a dry cracker every so often grin

newishminder Tue 18-Aug-09 22:15:26

Thank you ever so much for taking time in replying!
Im glad theres no further work required for them!I have done my planning for my little ones under five and written a note underneath what is planned for the over 5s so hopefully thats right.
Thanks again and HSMM thats funny about the cracker lol
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now