Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club:Can someone clarify the difference between the voluntary, childcare & early years register wrt childminders & assistants

(19 Posts)
Katymac Sat 15-Aug-09 17:51:03

I think
Childminders can do EY & CC but only voluntary with a level 2 or core skills - is that right?

Assistants can do EY but only CC off the premises with a clause on the reg cert - is that right?

Can assistants do V (so collect children over 8?) or not? Can they look after children over 8?

They cannot care for CC at the setting can they?

Please don't direct me to an OFSTED doc - please explain it to me in words or 1 (or occasionally 2) syllables as I am feeling very delicate

atworknotworking Sat 15-Aug-09 19:00:10

Hi Katy <big wavey things>

Whats CC? (dumb emotcion)

atworknotworking Sat 15-Aug-09 19:15:49

Oh do you mean Child Care register?

If you do then if it helps this is what ofsted said what we could do (I can't cope with the site either, so rang up)

Right DH is assistant, He can't have sole charge off premises (don't ask me why cos I don't know) of EY but can in premises for short periods of time (as undefined by ofsted) with sole charge consents from parents if it's on our registration doc (which it is).

For the over 5's he can be off premises, ie school pick ups but not in.

As for over 8's I'm buggered if I know but he does accasionally take the over 8's to park, I did tell ofsted this and they said it was ok, not sure what the legal side is though but, the ofsted guy said that the framework was specific to the setting ie: if you had a variation it was ok, our regional manager called me back and she said if anyone queried what, how we did things to call her and she would verify that it was ok.

I asked about the qualifications as it was mentioned in the paperwork, I didn't have L3 at the time, the switchboardy person didn't know, but said that if our registration said we could do a, b , c the we go on the registration certificate hmm

Think might need Nannynick LOL

Katymac Sat 15-Aug-09 19:48:22

These are my conditions - I am so confused

" * when working with an assistant, may care for no more than 12 children under 8 years; of these, not more than 6 may be in the early years age group, and of these, not more than 2 may be under 1 year at any one time (Early Years Register, compulsory part of the Childcare Register)
* when working with two other childminders at the above premises, may care for a total of no more than 12 children under 8 years; of these, not more than 9 may be in the early years age group, and of these, not more than 3 may be under 1 year at any one time (Early Years Register, compulsory part of the Childcare Register)
* may care for no more than 6 children under 8 years; of these, not more than 3 may be in the early years age group, and of these, not more than 2 may be under 1 year at any one time (Early Years Register, compulsory part of the Childcare Register)
* may leave an assistant alone with children for short periods of time providing that the arrangements are agreed and confirmed in writing by parents and the requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage and the Childcare Register continue to be met. For the Childcare Register these arrangements only apply off the premises (Early Years Register, compulsory part of the Childcare Register)
* must not provide overnight care (Early Years Register, compulsory part of the Childcare Register, voluntary part of the Childcare Register)"

danthe4th Sat 15-Aug-09 20:05:09

What did you ask ofsted for, did you ask to work with an assistant or 2 other childminders. I suggest you break down the statements on your certificate and create a chart, it should become clearer then.

danthe4th Sat 15-Aug-09 20:09:31

Sorry that wasn't very helpful,lol

Katymac Sat 15-Aug-09 20:18:44

I think it's the voluntary register that has me most confused

atworknotworking Sat 15-Aug-09 20:30:01

Ok bear with me I'm wading through ofsted site so it will come in bits in words of one syllable, as I can't do 2 today either

The Childcare Register

Applies to both Voluntary & Compulsary bits.

The registered childminder must be on the premises at all times, you cannot leave an assistant alone on the premises at any time when minding children on the childcare reg.

If we (ofsted) agree you can use an assistant to care for mindees on this register when off the premises for short periods of time eg: school runs, you need parental permission for this.

For over 8's on this register you can agree with parents for the assistant to leave the premises alone. We (ofsted) do not dictate how / when you can do this as long as you have written parental consent.

And onto the next bit.

atworknotworking Sat 15-Aug-09 20:40:20

The Early Years Register

The Early Years Foundation Stage does not give information about childminder assistants except about ratios and suitability.

childminders are not required to be on the premises all the time when childcare is provided.

However there are other requirements that childminders must meet at all times including when they use assistants

The requirements cover:

minimum overall ratios

that there is always one person who holds a paediatric first aid certificate on the premises at all times

that risk assessments are in place and there are suitable emergency arrangements, for example in the event of a fire
that arrangements are in place for staff/assistants absences

that assistants are aware of and understand the childminder’s policies and procedures
that appropriate arrangements are in place for supervision of students/any unvetted adults.

Where childminders can:
show that they meet these requirements all the time
and where
we agree that assistants are suitable and it is in the best interests of children
we may agree that they can be left alone with children for short periods of time, either on or off the premises. This is not to cover long absences but may cover times like:
where a baby is sleeping and would be woken up to go out
leaving children at home when the childminder or assistant collects children from school, for example in bad weather conditions
when the childminder takes one child to an appointment and may not be able to fully care for the other children.

When leaving children with an assistant, childminders must:

have the children’s parents agreement
make sure that the assistants, or themselves, are not caring for more children that they are allowed to
discuss and agree these arrangements with us
have a condition of registration which allows them to do this.

Childminders must never use assistants to give long periods of care, for example if they wish to take a holiday. At these times the assistant must be registered as a childminder themselves.
Common questions
Can any assistant I use be left alone with children?
No. Someone could be a suitable assistant but not be allowed to look after children on their own. You can only do this if:
we agree to allow assistants to be left for short periods
we have checked the assistant
you have written parental permission; and
you continue to meet the other requirements for the relevant register.

If you are on the Early Years Register or both the Early Years Register and the Childcare Register then you must have a condition of registration that lets you do this.

I am on both registers – can I leave children with my assistant?

If you are registered on both registers, then you must make sure that you meet all requirements for both registers, as set out in this fact sheet. One set of requirements is no more important than the other. *If we agree, you can leave children in the early years age group alone with an assistant on the childminding premises, but we cannot allow this for children on the Childcare Register; you can only let the assistants care for the children on their own when they are off the premises and with older children.*

However, we must agree why and how an assistant is left alone with children so we can be sure that the childminder is responsible and the assistant is not giving unregistered care.

atworknotworking Sat 15-Aug-09 20:44:24

So I reckon after all the waffle this is the bit you need.

*If we agree, you can leave children in the early years age group alone with an assistant on the childminding premises, but we cannot allow this for children on the Childcare Register; you can only let the assistants care for the children on their own when they are off the premises and with older children.*

Katymac Sat 15-Aug-09 20:56:17

I think I can do that

It means school age children can't be left with assistants - so I guess they come to the doctors with me <sigh>

Ah well never mind

atworknotworking Sat 15-Aug-09 21:11:15

Can the assistant not take them to the park for an hour?

Save them catching H1N1 at the docs

navyeyelasH Sat 15-Aug-09 21:24:39

so assistant can take children on the childcare register to the park but that same assitant can't have those same children within the home?

Ofsted are so weird! And surely early years aged children should be the same or have tighter rules hmm

Someone I know reckons all childminding assisstants need to be level 2 now; that's wrong isn't it?

Katymac Sat 15-Aug-09 21:29:11

No but I think childminders looking after childcare or voluntary children do - but I don't know which

atworknotworking Sat 15-Aug-09 21:30:23

Navy yeah took me ages to figure my reg stuff out, thank god I havn't got KatyMacs such a pita had to change all the school runs home pick ups around as well.

Didn't know about the level 2 thing has this just come in?

Katymac Sat 15-Aug-09 21:46:27

It's not called level 2 it's called core competencies I think? It's since Sept 08 but I don't know if it's for childcare or voluntary register

navyeyelasH Sat 15-Aug-09 23:12:56

on the vol register as a nanny I had to do core skills is that what you mean Katymac?

I'm talking about assistants needing to be level 2 qualified, apparently? I think it's not true, but a friend who is a CM reckons all assisstants have to be l2 now!

Katymac Sat 15-Aug-09 23:17:53

I am fairly certain (but too lazy to go & check downstairs tonight) that it is a childminder issue not an assistant issue

My co-minder has to complete the core competencies or do the level 2 but I can't remember why

navyeyelasH Sat 15-Aug-09 23:43:43

yup I agree Katy I think my friend has got the wrong end of the stick.

I think the one thing we do know for certain is that Ofsted is pants!

I was told recently by them that instead of registering as a nanny on the vol register I should have registered as a CM as it's cheaper. Well yes it is, but what about the fact that I'm not a CMer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now