Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Babysitting - how much do you pay/charge these days?

(9 Posts)
NotThereYet Wed 12-Aug-09 11:58:12

Hi, I'm 26 and not a Mum myself yet, but am recently unemployed and would like to do some babysitting to make some money until I find a job.

I used to do a lot of babysitting when I was a teenager, but can't for the life of me remember how much I used to charge. What's the going rate these days?

wheelsonthebus Wed 12-Aug-09 12:48:58

If you're in London, £8 an hour

danthe4th Wed 12-Aug-09 14:00:15

£8-£10 an hour or try a hotel you can get up to £15, There are some companies you can register with, sitters I think is one

nannynick Wed 12-Aug-09 14:20:37

It varies as some parents will pay quite a lot, while others will want it to be low cost.
Agencies don't tend to pay that much, £6 ish. Whereas if you get work privately you may be able to get £7 - £12.
Some parents will pay for the peace of mind that using a qualified childcarer as a babysitter brings.

Babysitting is considered to childcare at some time between 6pm and 2am. This info can be found in: The Childcare (Exemptions from Registration) Order 2008 No. 979 See "Exempt Childminding".

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 12-Aug-09 15:07:59

i charge £10ph and have minimum of 4hrs fee even if only used for 2.5hrs

i also have a 24hr cancelation fee of 4hrs

lynniep Wed 12-Aug-09 15:11:54

Our babysitter (shes 26 as well - works at DS's nursery) charges £6-£8 per hour.

She leaves it up to the parents how much they pay her (within those guidelines) We're Cambridgeshire. She hasnt ever specified a minimum or maximum time although I'm sure she'd say if what we asked wasnt acceptible.

bertiebear Wed 12-Aug-09 15:12:59

Trained nursery nurses charge £5 per hour here in Birmingham

It depends on area, your experience and qualifications, many parents will want a crb check and first aid cert.

I am in east midlands and a qualified childrens nurse I charge £10 an hr with min of £30 mon-thurs and £12 an hr with min of £40 fri-sun. I charge double time after midnight.

I have been known to charge £15 an hr when travelling an hr away.

I did join sitters and safehands network 7yrs ago when first was getting back into babysitting and nannying as hadnt done any for about 5yrs and did a few jobs through safehands but hrly rate was around £5 an hr and can earn more privately.

Please dont think I am having a go but it seems alot of people have started advertising on gumtree and the like for babysitting as they see it as an easy way to make money many of these adverts are from teenagers but some are from older people who have little childcare experience but "like children". Think what those wanting to babysit have to remember is can you deal with a stroppy 10yr old who doesnt want to go to bed or the 15yr old who says but mum said i could stay out til 11pm tonight or have my girlfriend round in my bedroom. Equally sick babies would you know what obv would call parents but could you manage until they get home.

NotThereYet Wed 09-Sep-09 16:09:30

Hi, thanks for all the info, it's very helpful.
In response to eastmidlndsnightnanny, I see your point and I know I wouldn't feel comfortable being left with a baby as I only have experience looking after children who are about 5+.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now