Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

My mindee has temp but no other symptoms, gave him calpol, shall I carry on as normal ?

(10 Posts)
Sensitivechildminder Wed 12-Aug-09 09:43:42

Or shall I ask the parents to come and get him ? Could be just the teeth ? Firt time I come accross temp and no other symptoms..advice needed please !!!

Numberfour Wed 12-Aug-09 10:22:33

i would call the parents for the child to be collected. it could just be a temp or the raised temp could be an indicator of something else.

what did the mum or dad say when you told them about it? perhaps he had a temp before the child was dropped off?

Sensitivechildminder Wed 12-Aug-09 10:25:48

He had some yesterday when he left, 39 then later in the evening and this morning when he got up, normal ! Then when I took his temp at 8.15, he had 38 but he had all his bottle, went to sleep as normal and doesnt look upset..I'm going to call the parents

Greensleeves Wed 12-Aug-09 10:27:24

good idea to give them a call so they know all the facts

if you're happy to keep him, just give them the choice

but you have a perfect right to ask for him to be collected if you feel he is ill.

Numberfour Wed 12-Aug-09 10:30:24

little one would probably feel better with mum or dad anyway!

Sensitivechildminder Wed 12-Aug-09 10:30:58

Thank you for your advices ladies ! I always dread in being in situation like this, dont want the parents to think I want to enjoy a day off !

AtheneNoctua Wed 12-Aug-09 10:39:03

If it is just teething I would want you to keep him (if I was the parent). But, on the other hand, you won't know it wasn't just teething until you have caught what he's got.

What does your sickness policy say? Does it specifically say a fever alone is reason to stay home?

My kids both got a fever with teething. The GP assured me teething doesn't cause a fever. But, after about the third "coincidence" I decided the GP might be mistaken.

holdingittogether Wed 12-Aug-09 12:59:09

I have had this situation before. I called mum to let her know. We discussed and as she was very tied up at that moment agreed I would give calpol and see how things went. Mindee was fine apart from temp for rest of day but came down very poorly next day and was poorly for a week. No one else caught it thank goodness. It's a tough call to make and we can't always get it right. Each situation would have to be judged individually. I am likely to be much more cautious if I have other mindees here too rather than just my own children.

ayla99 Wed 12-Aug-09 14:46:53

At my first aid course we were STRONGLY advised to send children home if they were ill enough to need calpol. A high temperature can be a symptom of many different things. So as I'm not qualified to make a diagnosis myself I've put in my policy that children cannot attend childcare with a temperature and must be at least 24 hours clear of a temp before returning.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 12-Aug-09 14:57:15

athene - no 3 also has a temp when teeths and foul nappy's

i would give calpol and ring parents to let them know and see what they want to do IF you are still happy to have them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now