Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What should I do?!

(12 Posts)
globex Tue 11-Aug-09 16:00:43

Hello - I've got a bit of a problem. I'm not sure anyone can help but maybe just typing it out will help me.

I'm due to go back to work next week but I haven't got any childcare lined up. I know I'm an idiot but I thought we'd have moved house by now. Now two house sales have fallen through.

Do childminders take short term placements? I would need somewhere for 2-6 weeks - isn't it holiday time? I have called a few that were listed as having vacancies but they haven't been interested. I'm not sure if I should start looking further afield or hire a daytime babysitter.

Should I advertise on gumtree? I have no idea how to word the ad. All the other ads seem so aggressive - MUST SPEAK FLUENT FRENCH AND GERMAN, MUST BE ABLE TO DO HOMEWORK, FIVE YEARS EXPERIENCE - that I'm worried anything less assertive will bring out the lunatics. All I really need is a kind, responsible student who likes babies.

Ergh - this is getting waffly. If anyone has any advice, please let me know..

leonifay Tue 11-Aug-09 16:22:55

some cms will take on short term placements, where are you, there may be a cm on here that can help.

i would also say keep phoning people on the list, post on gumtree, just say what you are looking for, but then make sure you fully check up on them

hth

atworknotworking Tue 11-Aug-09 16:53:48

I don't do short termers, but thats just my rule, don't think it's great for continuity, but obv you havn't got a choice if your moving. I know some cm's do though, try putting an add on here as leonifay says you might get someone that can help.

globex Tue 11-Aug-09 17:41:45

Thank you.
I completely understand why you wouldn't do short termers.
I put an ad on gumtree and netmums. I hope someone will answer!
Someone who isn't crazy.

I would see if any local ads on gumtree posted by uni students looking for some summer work as they dont go back to uni til end sept/beg oct and on my local gumtrees (leicester, nottingham and derby) there are a few students looking for this sort of work who have experience with babies/children and are doing childcare related degree or things like pyschology.

globex Tue 11-Aug-09 18:48:37

OMG - I posted on gumtree and I've had nearly ten replies. Thats in less than an hour.

They range from the scarily qualified to school students so I'm really spolit for choice. I feel weirdly grateful for all of them!

One thing - I stated an hourly rate but I didn't think about the tax thing. Would a 'proper' nanny definitely need the tax paying while a student might be happy with cash? Or maybe not cash but they pay their tax FROM the £blah per hour?

lemonpuff Tue 11-Aug-09 19:11:02

Think I have applied for this position!!!!

globex Wed 12-Aug-09 11:11:08

Hi lemonpuff - I wonder who you are..
Can you give me a clue?
I'm not sure this job is right for proper nannies - we are very disorganised, messy and unglamourous - not to mention poor.

nannynick Wed 12-Aug-09 14:37:05

HMRC: Student Employees form P38(s)

For a general guide to PAYE see HMRC: PAYE Introduction

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 12-Aug-09 15:05:59

i would also look on your local netmums - often nannys are avaiable for temp work in summer as their normal familys are away

i am doing a temp job this week, next and week after after as my perm family are away and the extra cash is nice before i go away

or call an agency but then you have to pay fees - normally about £10/15 per day

frAKKINPannikin Wed 12-Aug-09 15:06:11

Nannies don't need highly, organised and tidy. I like mess!

lemonpuff Wed 12-Aug-09 15:35:43

Hi

I'm poor too!! Temp work suits me fine. Please call if you do have my CV 00771

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now