Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advice needed please!

(8 Posts)
loobs2 Tue 11-Aug-09 15:01:15

A close friend has asked me to look after her child for an hour after school from Sept 2 days a week - which quite honestly I'd be happy to do for nothing. But she is insisting on paying me - and £5 an hour! I feel very uncomfortable about this - can anyone suggest what I should say/do?

myredcardigan Tue 11-Aug-09 15:06:31

If she's happy to pay it, then great. If I were her, I'd rather pay too because then I'd feel confident that it was a more professional arrangement and my friend wouldn't casually say 'sorry, can't have your DC this week.'

CMs round here charge £3.50-£4ph. If the £5 makes you feel uncomfortable why don't you find out the CM rate and just charge that?

Think carefully before you agree to do it though. Make sure you can offer the commitment. How old is her DC? Do you have a DC the same age? If you're available and have a similar aged child, it's probably a good deal for both of you. smile

nannyL Tue 11-Aug-09 17:26:55

if you are all happy then no problem

if it is ever more than 2 hours of care (ie holidays) then you need to be a registered childminder

juuule Tue 11-Aug-09 17:32:09

If it's childcare for over 2 hours but unpaid I don't think you need registered childcare.

nannyL Tue 11-Aug-09 17:33:12

yes, I meant (but didnt say) 2 hours PAID smile

loobs2 Tue 11-Aug-09 17:45:42

It is term-time only, won't even be every week, and will only be for 1 hour for 2 days, so is that OK do you think? I certainly don't want to do it if it means having to get registered or anything hmm

nannyL Tue 11-Aug-09 17:47:43

im pretty sure so long as on any single day its no more than 2 hours its fine!

loobs2 Tue 11-Aug-09 18:04:27

Thanks! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now