Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder's CLub: Broken Limb??

(22 Posts)
KatieMac Wed 25-May-05 22:14:47

One of my mindees has a broken limb, he is 18m old (developmentally maybe 15m). He broke it on Saturday pm.

He was off Mon & Tues - but did a full day with me today.

Could anyone give me their comments on this situation (I maybe over reacting)

starlover Wed 25-May-05 22:15:35

what kind of comments?
he broke his arm... he had some time off... what's wrong with that?

KatieMac Wed 25-May-05 22:19:54

Well I think (maybe I'm wrong) that he needs a bit more time with his mum after such a shock to his system. His eyes were stil visibly dilated (is that the right word - small) and occassionally he was shaking. I felt so sorry for the poor little mite.

starlover Wed 25-May-05 22:22:22

if pupils are dilated it means that they are big... that would only be a problem if they were dilated constantly (ie, didn't react to light)

i'm sure his Mum feels he was ok to come back to you... and after all, she probably knows best!

KatieMac Wed 25-May-05 22:23:58

No they were tiny and the same all day. He seems so dazed, I obviously am over reacting - but he seemed so poorly

starlover Wed 25-May-05 22:26:55

if you look at them in the light then they will be small... they would dilate in low light to let more light enter the eye...

I don't know really... did you speak to his Mum and tell her your concerns? I'm sure she would want to hear if you think he isn't quite right still

KatieMac Wed 25-May-05 22:31:55

He looked stoned...I said that to his mum and she said that he hadn't had any Calpol since yesterday evening. I suggested giving him some Calpol while he was with me (I assume a broken arm hurts?) but she said he didn't need it.

I suggested that our setting wasn't the quietest place and that it would be had (impossible) to keep him from running around - but in the end he just sat on a cushion holding his cast

starlover Wed 25-May-05 22:33:30

don't know... tbh, never broken anything! But i don't think that they hurt for that long after being put in cast etc.
He might just have felt a bit out of sorts... how often do you look after him?

KatieMac Wed 25-May-05 22:34:25

8-5 Mon-Fri

KatieMac Wed 25-May-05 22:35:28

for over a year

charliecat Wed 25-May-05 22:36:50

I had my arm put back together wrongly and it hurt like hell...didnt stop...once they had put it back correctly it didnt hurt a bit. Dont wish to alarm you but a break shouldnt hurt.

KatieMac Wed 25-May-05 22:39:03

So it isn't hurting him - I'm so releived
I would hate for him to be in pain.

He must just be shocked and maybe tired (carrying the extra weight)

starlover Wed 25-May-05 22:39:25

well... i would tend to go with the Mum's instincts...
But, if you are really still worried tomorrow then do broach the subject with her again.

starlover Wed 25-May-05 22:40:05

he may just still be a little bit shocked about it, and possibly just a bit apprehensive about playing with it on...

KatieMac Wed 25-May-05 22:42:41

Thanks for your reassurance - I know I would be SO overprotective if it were my DD - she wouldn't be at school for a week

starlover Wed 25-May-05 22:45:04

yeah i'd probably be the same!

lunavix Thu 26-May-05 13:03:00

A week? More like a month

alibubbles Thu 26-May-05 13:49:07

Message withdrawn

ssd Thu 26-May-05 16:48:44

Hi Katie, my ds broke his arm aged 4 and I sent him back to school very reluctantly 3 days later, on the advice of his teacher.He was a bit cautious with it at first then joined in quite happily.

I think you're a really nice and caring C/M to be so concerned with him so much. As a parent I wouldn't have sent him back to you till at least 4-5 days but as a childminder I'm not surprised you had him back so early.

KatieMac Thu 26-May-05 20:49:07

He was tons better today - his eyes were normal and he didn't shake at all - sorry to be such a wuss and be so worried

ssd Fri 27-May-05 06:47:33

Glad he's okay!

Twiglett Fri 27-May-05 06:52:54

whereas I'd be the total opposite a broken limb is just a broken limb and once its set I'd want my child to learn how to just get on with it and realise it isn't the end of the world so I'd push him back into his life pretty quickly too

but I think a child seeming mentally out of sorts sounds like he may have a bug too

as a childminder I'd keep an eye on him but never mention anythign to the parent because it makes you sound like you feel they're uncaring / less caring than you are

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now