Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Maternity Position

(5 Posts)
aussieinde Sun 09-Aug-09 17:21:21

Hi,

I've just been offered a 6 week maternity position, it will be 24/6 in Geneva, Switzerland. First baby.

I've been a Nanny for many, many years and have cared for my fair share of newborns, including doing 2-3 nights a week for one family but have never had any real maternity experience. I'm at the end of my Nanny career, I'm heading back to Australia to finish my degree (1 year break became an 8 year break) at the end of this year. This position will see me through my last 6 weeks here, so is somewhat perfect.

Anyway, what I am getting at is, can anyone give me an idea of the rate I should charge. I have no idea, other than it has to be more than what Im currently earning for an 8-7, M-F position... The Mother to be has also asked me to email her my expectations, the only things I can really come up with is it would be nice to have 2 hours, 2-3 times a week to go to the gym as my membership is paid up til I leave and (I am also going to need to squash myself into a wedding dress in the very near future) to be able to sleep when the baby sleeps.

Any ideas or tips would be most appreciated!

LynetteScavo Sun 09-Aug-09 23:23:22

If the job is 24/6 I think you'll be lucky to get time to go to the gym....but you never know, the mum might not mind.

The last time I looked the going rate for a MN was about £450 PW...but that was a while ago....

EverySingleStar Mon 10-Aug-09 11:33:20

£450 is a live-out nanny salary, most certainly not a maternity nurse. You should be looking at £600 pw.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 10-Aug-09 15:46:54

dont forget the salary will be gross - so £600 a week gross is prob about £450nett

most mn's earn £150 ish gross per 24hrs

aussieinde Mon 10-Aug-09 18:48:07

Thanks!

£150 per 24 hours converted into Swiss Francs brings me in line with what I was thinking of asking for... Great to know that I'm not asking too much smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now