Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What's the going rate for a Nanny?

(9 Posts)
Seabright Sun 09-Aug-09 11:42:25

We are thinking of getting a nanny, not sure if we'd get a live-in or live-out.

Can anyone give me a rough idea of the going rate (please say if the amount in your answer is net or gross).

We live in south-west Surrey, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

nannynick Sun 09-Aug-09 12:01:06

Live-Out: £8-£11 gross per hour depending on experience. I'm in West Surrey, near Hants/Berks border.

You can see a selection of nanny jobs in Surrey at NannyJob.co.uk some may contain details of salary.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 09-Aug-09 16:00:27

kent 7-10nett so prob 11-14gross

I would agree with the 2 know-it-alls above (best same I am joking in case anyone else thinks I am offensive!!)

It will depend on nannies qualifications, experience and whether you have a nanny with own child.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 09-Aug-09 16:57:33

nothing offends me - you should know that!!! smile

and yes obv depends on age, exp etc of the nanny

well aware nothing offends you but unfortunately some people start to defend others on message boards without realising it was a joke.

Seabright remember its an employers market at the moment with more nannies than jobs and if you have perks that come with the job then the salary could be slightly lower for example:

* gym membership
*use of car off duty
* working hrs are 8-6 but sometimes (as in once twice a week) you dont need them til 9am or finish at 5pm but obv still paid full hrs employed for.
* more than the entitled holiday allowance (some people who employ nannies give them then same amount of annual leave they get which is often more than the required amount by law.)

Seabright Mon 10-Aug-09 20:37:01

Thanks for the info. Very helpful, if slightly depressing. I'll be left earning about £3 per hour for myself sad

nannynick Mon 10-Aug-09 21:15:20

If you have only one child, then you will find that a Registered Childminder is cheaper. If you have 2 children you will find that the cost may be about the same... though nanny may be a little more. With 3 or more children than a nanny is cheaper.

Many working parents find that childcare cost eats up the vast majority of their income. Childcare costs money and the lower the adult:child ratio, the more it costs. So 1:1 or 1:2 care will be a lot more costly than 1:8 (minimum ratio in nursery for 3-5 age range).

seabright would you be able to get childcare vouchers through your work if so you could employ an ofsted registered nanny and part pay them with these

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now