Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny share and holidays

(4 Posts)
wornoutmum1 Sat 08-Aug-09 21:10:24

I originally employed our nanny on a Thursday and Friday - she worked for another family the other 3 days. The other family then moved and she was stuck trying to find a position that covered the Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.... so I wouldn't lose her I switched my days to accommodate the new family so I now have the nanny on Monday and Friday.... this obviously means I am getting hit for all the bank holidays (I had just given birth when I agreed to be flexible - hence brain was not working). She is still contracted to me for the Thursday and Friday and the other family have not put a contract in place yet. Any ideas how to handle this holiday/bank holiday nightmare? Our nanny is entitled to 11.2 days from me and 16.8 days from the other family, but 8 of those days are bank holidays which has resulted in the following (and it is only August!) ..... I have had 2 weeks off (i.e. 4 days), had to pay all the bank holidays (8 days), the other family have now taken 2 weeks off, the nanny has taken the same 2 weeks off (4 days), this means that if we don't think about the Christmas holiday that everyone will want off I will have paid my nanny 16 days holiday instead of 11.2....

My head is in a real muddle with this. Can anyone out there make sense of it for me? The other family are also trying to pinch her for one of my days which is making me cross.

Help! Help! Help!!!

HecatesTwopenceworth Sat 08-Aug-09 21:12:59

arrange with other family to go 50/50 or you will have to go back to the contracted days?

nannynick Sat 08-Aug-09 22:09:40

The 5.6 weeks holiday entitlement takes into account bank holidays. Your nanny did work Thurs/Fri, now works Mon/Fri - is that right? If so, then no change in the number of days worked.

Why are you accommodating another family? If your nanny isn't working for both you and the other family at the same time (so on the same day, with all the children at one house) it isn't a nanny share. It is two separate employments. While it is nice of you to take into account the holiday periods your employee arranges with their other employer, you don't have to give your employee the same holiday weeks. Your nanny should be requesting time off and you then decide to grant that request or deny it.

So I see it as being you give your employee 11.2 days - you may want to round that up to whole days if you don't want your nanny working for part of a day. So 12 days annual leave each leave year - which can include bank holidays falling on their working day.

CarGirl Sat 08-Aug-09 22:13:38

I'm with nannynick. offer her 12 or 13 paid days per year including bank holidays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now