Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Are there any disadvantages on having a childminder come to your home rather than going to theirs?

(16 Posts)
bodiddly Fri 07-Aug-09 15:26:53

I am posting this for my sister-in-law who is looking for a childminder for her 14 month old at the moment. One of the people she is seeing tomorrow is just starting to childmind again after a long break and has said that she would prefer to look after her dd in their home rather than her own. My sil will obviously do all the normal checks etc but does anyone know of any disadvantage to this? Thanks!

LIZS Fri 07-Aug-09 15:28:02

She would n't be a cm - she'd be a nanny.

bodiddly Fri 07-Aug-09 15:37:32

that is what I said LIZS but she is calling herself a childminder!

susie100 Fri 07-Aug-09 15:40:47

You need to be careful as I think the tax situation is quite different. Childminders are self-employed and nannies are employed by you. I think the insurance is also quite different. If she is acting and being paid like a nanny and is just calling herself a child minder thats one thing but you can't have a self-employed nanny as far as I am aware.

busybeingmum Fri 07-Aug-09 15:55:14

Message withdrawn

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 07-Aug-09 16:06:16

as others have said

if a person goes to childs home, then they are a nanny and will be employed by the home owner

if the child goes to someone elses house then they are using the services of a cm and will be self employed

bodiddly Fri 07-Aug-09 16:43:17

thank you .. I will direct her towards the NCMA web site!

Ripeberry Fri 07-Aug-09 18:29:14

There are some self-employed nannies out there. It could just be that she is a home childminder (in parents home).
Just make sure she has an Ofsted registration number and check it on the Ofsted website.
If a CM lets their registration slip (they don't mind for more than 3yrs) then they come off the register and have to start training all over again.
Or it could be that she is trying to avoid doing the EYFS grin

nannynick Fri 07-Aug-09 18:40:57

It is possible for a childminder to register a different work place to their own home (in England). However they would need to be taking other children in addition to the children who lived at that home. It is a fairly complex registration setup so it does not occur very often.

Generally speaking as others have already said, a Childminder cares for children at their [the childminders] home. When someone cares for children at the child's own home, then they are a Nanny - Ofsted refer to Nannies as "Home Childcarer".

It is important to check the person's registration certificate carefully with regard to what location it permits childcare. If there is any confusion about what a person's registration permits, phone the regulator for advice.

busybeingmum Fri 07-Aug-09 18:43:03

Message withdrawn

nannynick Fri 07-Aug-09 18:46:32

One disadvantage of a childminder working from the home of one of the children for whom they care, is that the home of that child will be used by a variety of different children from other families.
Another disadvantage for the homeowner is that their heating/lighting will be used, they will need their home to comply with the regulators safety regulations, there will be more wear and tear on the home contents.

Which country does your SIL live in?
Does she want her DD cared for by someone who is also caring for other children, or does she want 1:1 care?

tiredandgrumpy Fri 07-Aug-09 18:49:25

I have also preferred to keep dc out of the house so that on the rare days I take a day's holiday but leave them in nursery, I get the house to myself. V rare moments of sanity.

bodiddly Fri 07-Aug-09 19:52:04

Hi, sil is in north London and will be needing someone part time. She quite likes the idea of someone coming to the house but was looking for a childminder - nanny's are usually more expensive. She had not heard of someone coming to the house before hence us asking this question! This particular childminder only seems to want to take on one child by the sounds of it so having other children in sil's home probably isnt an issue. In the area she lives there do not appear to be any nurseries that take under 2s .. hence the childminder! I think that more than anything she just wants someone she feels comfortable with and her dd bonds with!

HarrietTheSpy Sat 08-Aug-09 21:27:49

I have found some people are uncomfortable with the word 'nanny.' It is very stupid but "I employ a nanny" can be perceived as poncey, as if to say, there's a butler in the kitchen too, he might be my husband but I have STAFF you know.

I think many people believe 'childminder' is just a modern word for the same job. When I have been "corrected" by people who have called our nanny a childminder, I have felt like a huge anorak explaining the distinction and like I spend way too much time on this site (which is true).

Having said that, how long has this person been out of childminding? Because this 'childmind from your home' is something I have heard regularly from applicants to our jobs who were, likewise, returning to the job after a long break, but on inspection, never really 'official' in the past and actually don't have a clue about the regulations involved.

sallyssuperstars Sat 08-Aug-09 21:43:09

I think you'll find that a childminder(registered) Is able to work in a parent's home, she would be a homecarer, under a different registration, no other children from other families would be cared for. She would be self employed.

nannynick Sat 08-Aug-09 22:31:37

Good point HarrietTheSpy, terminology used in the UK differs from other countries and even within the UK people may refer to a type of childcare to what the majority of us on here would use.

Sallyss - if the homecarer was only working for one family, I would have thought it unlikely that an HMRC status officer would consider it to be self employment. There are many variables to take into account with regard to employment status... the status officer would need to look at the overall 'picture' to get a feel for if the relationship was Employer:Employee or Supplier:Customer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now