Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

THIS drives me up the wall.

(5 Posts)
HissingSidIsInnocent Fri 07-Aug-09 12:49:27

Trying to get myself established as a temp occasional (ad hoc?) nanny on my days off from my regular job. Had a text enquiry late on Wednesday night from somebody who wanted cover for 8 hours on Friday. Great! Told her I'd do it, was all definite, arranged to ring her Thursday evening to finalise details.

Turned down another job in the meantime.

Called her last night, no reply, left a message. She eventually sent me a text saying "Sorry I haven't phoned, have found somebody."

It drives me mad. I can't kick off because she's still a potential employer, and the last thing I want is to get myself a bad reputation. Still, though - she could've phoned me. I could've taken the other job.

angry

HissingSidIsInnocent Fri 07-Aug-09 13:05:37

"Have found somebody" meaning "have found somebody cheaper", of course.

Numberfour Fri 07-Aug-09 13:42:02

us childminders get it too!!

and more often than not, the family does not even come back to you to say that they have made alternate arrangements.

Oligo Sat 08-Aug-09 01:08:06

i'd find this really irritating. Not like they have been taken ill or even just cancelled.

You are also a potential nanny for her so she wouldn't want to upset you intentionally and some parents are just oblivious to these things so you need to tell them. Perhaps they thought the fact it was only arranged wed. that it would be ok but its not- maybe they just didn't think but it has cost you.

I would text back, be polite but say something like: 'thanks for your text. Am happy to help out in future if needed but please once a job is confirmed i need X days/hours notice of cancellation (I'd feel like putting 'and vice versa' to scare her but wouldn't) so am free to have found somebody to fill vacancy' (deliberate sneeky non-grammatical echo of her text there). Maybe there are people who could phrase this better, as i'm quite annoyed for you at the mo.

Also say to other jobs that you're booked at the mo. but if anything changes i can call you back- just so its not weird if you do.

poppy34 Sat 08-Aug-09 06:13:17

Hissingsid where are you? I sometimes need cover and would nor do this! Very slack

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now