Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminders Club: Ofsted Inspection

(19 Posts)
Xena Tue 24-May-05 21:09:25

Hi guys I know I'm due my inspection soon so I'm trying to prepare everything. I have a Child protection, Behaviour and Equal opps policy but what others do I need? Sickness?
I also haven't built up many multicultural toys and am finding it hard to locate some resonable priced ones, I've tried looking on ebay but can't find any. Any ideas mail order etc?
Any advice greatfully recieved.

Xena Tue 24-May-05 21:13:42

Also I'm am going to tell them that I only want to be registered for over 5's will they be 'funny' about this?
I was minding a LB until last week I gave my notice when I 8wks pg because I was bleeding and with my 2DD's I thought that it was too much, I wouldn't have had the space once the new baby came but unfortunatly I m/c last week. I have decided that I still don't want any others during the day though.

kcemum Tue 24-May-05 21:27:53

Hi Zena,

A fire policy /procedure would also be a good idea as well as sickness. Early learning center do a set of 6 multicultural dolls for about a tenner I think, as well as being multi-cultural they are a rande of ages with Gradma, Grandad, Mum, Dad , Son and daughter. hth

Xena Tue 24-May-05 21:40:16

Thanks Kcemum will add fire procedure to the list. I have the family for the dolls house I was looking more for books and jigsaws, I'd also need to find out about festivals?

kcemum Tue 24-May-05 21:48:22

Try the library for the books, ours sells library books that they don't circulate anymore, you should get books cheaply. Have you tried contacting local churches with a view to their particular festivals?

I don't think that ofstead would have any problems just registering you for over 5's

Xena Tue 24-May-05 21:54:16

I'm fairly up with christian festivals but need to educate myself with other faiths. Good tip about the library I'll try there for festivals books as well.

peckarollover Tue 24-May-05 21:55:29

Really sorry to hear your news about the miscarriage. Hope your coping ok with it - must be very hard.

Mini IQ (a book company I used to work for) do a book called all kinds of people and one called all kinds of beliefs I think

They sell them online in a set of two

Xena Tue 24-May-05 22:09:18

ooh thanks peckarollover just found their website. Do you remember any titles?
I did let my parents know abou the m/c and they were very supportive and kind had thurs (for the ERPC)and fri off, children came back on Monday and its good to get back to 'normal'.

peckarollover Tue 24-May-05 22:13:29

All Kinds of People

All Kinds of beliefs

Found them on amazon

Xena Tue 24-May-05 22:17:27

Thanks I just found them on your original site and they are cheaper there. Have ordered them they look like great books

bigdonna Tue 24-May-05 22:20:41

i am a cm in mitcham i had an inspection the inspector did not ask me for anything except for my charges diary attendance book, and accident and emergency book.i did not buy loads of multiracial toys as happy street has lots of different people,people in wheel chairs,alot of fisher price toys are good i think i have 1 puzzle which has a black fireman on you could try carboots.he did not aSK ME ANYTHING ON FESTIVALS ,its a good job mind i have not got a clue.

Bonkerz Tue 24-May-05 22:27:30

I managed to get round the lack of multicultural toys by printing off pics of disabled people from the internet and making a scrap book. I got the children to colour the pictures and used simple words ie for a blind person i wrote 'my eyes are poorly'. My inspector thought this was good. I also made a big point that i used the library and toy library and that i had close relationships with 2 other childminders and that we regularly shared toys and equipment!!

Xena Tue 24-May-05 22:45:25

Thanks for the advice, have been registered nearly 2 years and I haven't had a proper inspection really when we moved last year they visited for health and safety but thats it, I'm quite nervous though.

kcemum Tue 24-May-05 22:52:07

Hi Zena,

I recently had my 2nd inspection and was nervous too, but I got through it by thinking that she is only doing her job the same as i'm doing mine. The process wasn't made any easier by my 4 year old walking into the room stark naked..lol

Xena Tue 24-May-05 22:57:17

KatieMac Wed 25-May-05 07:50:18

Make a wish list and she it to the inspector - as in "These are the toys resources I would like to buy - when I have the money" include how much they are and where you will but them from...so she knows you are serious

Look at you child abuse policy - I was asked what I would do if a member of my household was accused of abuse

Do you use a towel in the bathroom - I was asked to use papertowels (maybe cos I have so many children)

Do you produce a menu? or have a policy on food?

Is your emergency plan written down - who is your emergency cover?

I'll think about this some more and get back to you - if I can think of anything else

Good Luck (btw)

kcemum Wed 25-May-05 09:22:55

Hi Xena (got your name right this time!)
Forgot to add last night- how about a complaints policy?

Xena Wed 25-May-05 09:35:01

KM I'd heard about the paper towels buisness, could get really messy though where do you put them? I seem to have zillions atm I've got 3 over 8's as well I wonder what Ofsted will have to say about it?
Will add the other policies/procedures to the list
kcemum I didn't even notice

KatieMac Wed 25-May-05 22:57:04

I use kitchen roll (1 piece each)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now