Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club: I had a compliment....I think?

(14 Posts)
Katymac Wed 05-Aug-09 20:28:57

A new mum came to visit & was a little disappointed that I didn't have space when she wanted

She met an existing mum who said "you didn't tell Katy when you wanted did you? you go & ask when she has available & arrange your life around her space"

It made me feel a little hmm & while I am glad she thinks so highly of me I am a little sad that I appear so inflexible

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 05-Aug-09 20:31:32

That is a strange one but it will all be in the tone of voice.

mum2akebk Wed 05-Aug-09 20:35:40

I'm sure you don't appear inflexible but when you only have a certain number of spaces at certain times there is little that you can do to change it. Expect existing parent was meaning how brilliant your setting is and if there is anything available then new parent should grab it!

Well done on having the compliment.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 05-Aug-09 20:38:27

I think it's a big compliment that a parent would want you to care for their child so much that they will rearrange their life around you smile

atworknotworking Wed 05-Aug-09 20:47:26

katy I read it as the parent saying take what katy can give you, because she's the best and you wont get any better grin <<atwork at her smarmyest>>

Definately a compliment take it on the chin!

Nothing to do with being inflexible if your'e full your'e full nothing you can do about that - shouldn't be so much in demand it's all your'e own fault.

Katymac Wed 05-Aug-09 20:48:10

I guess it was in the tone of voice (which I didn't hear)

I wish I knew what had changed as last September I had less than 2 children a day - now I am pushing 9 most days

What changed?

atworknotworking Wed 05-Aug-09 21:16:06

don't know I was whingeing because I hadn't had any enquiries for months and today I have 3 new starters for Sept, all recommendations, I'm pleased as I had a few leavers come Sept and was wondering how we were going to manage money wise, it doesn't cover what weve lost but they are all schoolies and lovely children.

Maybee even with the credit crunch their are some things that people still need to pay for and childcare is definately one of those.

Katymac Wed 05-Aug-09 21:30:11

It seems odd doesn't it

My co-ordinator says in June there was a baby boom in our area so I expect in next August we will have lots of enquiries

looneytune Thu 06-Aug-09 14:34:36

Well done Katy, take it as a good compliment Funny isn't it how things change. About 2 and half years ago, I was really struggling for work and for since just over 2 years ago, I've only had school run vacancies and then suddenly I'm having to turn people away. There do seem to be busier months and I agree it's probably due to babies being born at certain time of year. For the last month or 2 I've had 1-4 enquiries a week pretty much. I expect after Sept it will be quiet again.

Katy - I'm soooo pleased things are looking much better for you. I felt for you when it went all quiet for you!!! Long may it continue xx

thebody Thu 06-Aug-09 19:11:08

All the above and well done Katy.. you always post sensible advice so you must be good.. take as compliment and enjoy..

Scarfmaker Thu 06-Aug-09 19:29:16

The reason you're prob getting lots of enquiries everybody is because lots of childminders are leaving the profession.

Went to my annual childminding conference a few weeks ago and was told that 130 childminders in our London borough had quit since last September. That's a hell of a lot.

Now there's not enough of us to go round and I've been getting lots of enquiries for months now and feel terrible have to say no.

I usually pass them on to childminder colleagues but they are all full too.

Katymac Thu 06-Aug-09 19:48:03

Not only is our area not losing childminders, but new ones are registering all the time

I think we are in a little boom

I & my colleagues do have spaces - but generally part-time only

atworknotworking Thu 06-Aug-09 20:39:03

Loads of new babies around us too, do you think now that meternity leave is 12mths that we will still get little ones or do you think that mums will take the full 12mths?

A few minders near me are planning to quit when they get their next inspection call, they know they wont pass hmm as not doing all the paperwork, endless courses etc, it's really sad as some are so good with the children and as they say they do the job because they love playing with the children but it's turning into a papershuffle job and thats not what they want to do.

moomillion Thu 06-Aug-09 21:09:32

i had a compliment today after coping well with a tantrum child even though i was secretly thinking oh no not again girls hey...

In our area we are inundated with unregistered childcare. and some clicky childminders who do not share their experience or knowledge with new childminders who also attend the childminding group. but they all have children starting preschool or school in sept so its going to be even harder to get enquiries as everyone is going to have spaces!!!!!
Im hoping its just a slow few months as none of us have had a phone call (not even the vacancy coordinator) in 2 months. wow. but what can you do? hope its better for the rest of you anyone else really down on phone calls

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now