Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au Pairs - normal to pay their return flight?

(8 Posts)
FeatheredHeart Wed 05-Aug-09 11:11:09

My most promising applicant is asking for this as a bonus if we think he was a good au pair. It sounds reasonable. Is this normal?

mumof2222222222222222boys Wed 05-Aug-09 11:17:45

Where is he coming from?

We offer an additional week's pay as a bonus. So if europe - probably reasonable. If NZ probably not.

DadInsteadofMum Wed 05-Aug-09 18:33:37

I have an end of contract bonus built in to my standard contract - it is mainly there to stop them leaving early.

The risk of what he is propsing is that "good au pair" is highly subjective, on what criteria would you judge goodness? Mine is simple you survive x months of the DCs you deserve the cash.

nannynick Wed 05-Aug-09 18:39:09

I like that DadInsteadofMum grin

IF the Au-pair survives 6 months (or however long it is) they then get the money.

If they quit, or are sacked... they don't get the money.

Sounds fair.

Millarkie Wed 05-Aug-09 19:00:00

We haven't put a bonus into the contract, but that gives us the discretion to add one if we consider them to be a good au pair. I prefer DIOM's method though, will put that into my negotiations if/when we get the next AP.
I paid for last AP's flight home but that was because we wanted her to leave a few days earlier than she had planned (she was a prime example of someone who thought she was a good au pair, but really wasn't )

FeatheredHeart Wed 05-Aug-09 23:32:54

I was seeing the flight home as a bonus for being good more than an incentive not to leave early. I'd quite like to say no paid holiday before 6 months for that. Or is that harsh?

DadInsteadofMum Thu 06-Aug-09 10:31:07

FH see the other active AP thread at the moment - I am not sure that would be legal, paid holiday is a legal entitlement

here

FeatheredHeart Thu 06-Aug-09 21:20:22

Don't think I'm going to go with this applicant for other reasons. But I like the bonus idea. Thanks for sharing yours mumof2. What do other people pay?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now