Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Stupid question about cups when at c/m's

(11 Posts)
GirlsAreLoud Tue 04-Aug-09 17:15:05

DD (12mo) is starting at the c/m at the end of the month. She drinks everything out of a doidy cup - will the c/m be happy for her to do the same there and should I buy a spare doidy cup to leave at her house?

I know I could ask her this but she's on holiday at the moment!

Have never heard of a doidy cup blush, what is it - but yes, would buy a spare one for her to use there.

Lifeinagoldfishbowl Tue 04-Aug-09 17:29:56

Yes probably worth having a spare kept in her bag.

GirlsAreLoud Tue 04-Aug-09 17:44:05

THank both,
underpaid they're just the slanty open cups. We haven't bothered with a sippy cup til now and she drinks really well out of the open cup so I don't reaplly want her using a sippy cup at the c/ms, that's all.

stomp Tue 04-Aug-09 17:51:04

i really like the look of those, and i'm sure your cm would like you to leave one with her. i use the tommee tippee cups that come with the clear inverted tops with a hole in- another brill idea.

danthe4th Tue 04-Aug-09 17:52:11

I would be happy for her to use the cup at the table, but what do you use when you go out for the day as I like to take childrens seperate cups with me for easy access to water etc. I do take a spare bottle of water with me and cups but I also use sports bottles as they are quick and easy to hand out.It depends how good at using the cup she is and whether she needs much help. Children need to be able to have access to water at all times and it would be other children that would knock it over I expect in my house

shoshe Tue 04-Aug-09 17:52:59

I must admit i wont use doidy's (accept at the table) as Ofsted require all mindees to have continuous access to water, and a doidy cup is not practical as it just gets tipped up or dropped on the floor, with three mindees under 3.

My compromise is [http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Baby-Girl-360-CupW0QQitemZ250473158833QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BabyBabyFeeding UtensilsEH?hash=item3a515d18b1&trksid=p3286.c0.m14 amadaeus 360 cups]] not quite a sippy cup as the child drinks as if the cup is open, although its not.

shoshe Tue 04-Aug-09 17:53:46

link again blush

GirlsAreLoud Tue 04-Aug-09 17:58:35

THanks shoshe, we've got an amadeus cup but she couldn't manage to drink out of it when I tried her a couple of months ago. Will try her again with that.

I just use a tiny thermos flask when we're out and about and she drinks out of the lid. She doesn't really spill but obv needs someone to hold it for her.

She only ever drinks at the table but I suppose I wouldn't mind if she had access to a sippy cup at the c/ms when not at the table.

littlestarschildminding Wed 05-Aug-09 15:58:37

Your dd will most likely have no problem using a sippy cup when out and about with the cm and a doidy cup with you....children are so much more adaptable than we give them credit for grin

One of the best things you can get your head round early on with any kind of childcare...is to go with the flow and have an understaning that everyones parenting methods are slightly different and that differnt isn't necessarily wrong!

Maybe send a doidy to the cm and say dd uses this at home..I didn't know if you wanted to use it here or if you want to use one of yours. She will then be led by your dd, in my setting they all want to use the same cup as everyone else (although I have no problem offering one that a parent sent if that was what the child wanted) If its not that important then let your dd do the leading smile

looneytune Wed 05-Aug-09 18:18:20

Was going to say what Shoshe has said.....I've done this at the table but no, wouldn't be allowed to let her use that all of the time otherwise I'd be downgraded by Ofsted for not having the water there for dd to help herself to. Believe me, Ofsted have some crazy ideas which has meant me having to say no to things that I otherwise would have said yes to. So yes, she'll probably have to have something with a lid that she can help herself to at the CMs but could probably use a cup at mealtimes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now