Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Interviewing part time babysitters this week. What do I need to know?

(8 Posts)
IlanaK Mon 03-Aug-09 21:20:28

I need a babysitter (I am not using the word nanny as I am not looking for someone qualfied) for two mornings a week. I looked on gumtree and am interviewing this week.

What do I need to know? What is the tax/NI situation for someone that only works for me 8 hours a week? What info do I need from them?

Thanks!

IlanaK Mon 03-Aug-09 22:01:58

anyone?

Ripeberry Mon 03-Aug-09 22:04:28

Sounds like a cash in hand job to me.

IlanaK Mon 03-Aug-09 22:31:59

Yes, but what is the actual law about that number of hours. Does anyoen know?

fairimum Tue 04-Aug-09 15:27:17

It is based on the amount they are paid per week not the number of hours - think as long as it is under £100 a week (you would need to check the exact amount) you dont need to pay tax/NI, BUT you do need to let 'someone' tax/ni people?? (sure someone will come along with better info!) that you are employing the person!

wheelsonthebus Tue 04-Aug-09 17:30:34

here you go

from nannytax

Current tax thresholds
You must register and pay NI on behalf of your employee if you pay them £110 or more per week. You must also register if your employee has another job, even if you pay them below the threshold.

If you pay between £95 and £110 and your employee does not have another job you should still register as an employer although no tax and NI will be due. This will enable your employee to receive state pension and other benefits. Tax is only payable if you pay your employee £125* or more per week and they do not have another job.

IlanaK Tue 04-Aug-09 17:37:32

Thanks. So since I will only be paying £64 per week I don't have to do anything - yippee!

nannynick Tue 04-Aug-09 18:45:11

It will depend on if they have any other job.
PAYE guide from HMRC

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now