Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How long can you stay registered while not minding??

(7 Posts)
BrieVanDerKamp Mon 03-Aug-09 19:34:29

I believe I heard one time that if you give up minding that there is a period of time after which you have to re register to start minding again, anyone heard of this and know the rules?

In 2 weeks I will officially no longer be a childminder!!! Actually I can't wait, as I have read on many posts we all seem to get fed up of the paperwork, disorganisation of home etc....and it's got too much.

I will miss the kids but I am really looking forward to getting my home back and have time with my own 3 kids, they are beginning to resent having other kids here now so all in all I decided now is the time to give up.

I have got myself a part time job as a phlebotomist (what I did before I had my youngest) and I am looking forward to some serious me time now my youngest is off to school.

But I need to know this rule about re registering incase a lovely kiddie comes my way for one day a week or something and I decide I'd like to take it on.

PS. Obviously I'd let my insurance etc run on and only take lo on if that was all still in order

littlestarschildminding Mon 03-Aug-09 19:42:08

My understanding was that as long as you kept up your ofsted yearly fee and your inspections/ first aid etc then there is no limit on the time you can stay registered while not minding. Im sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Good luck with the new job

nannynick Mon 03-Aug-09 19:49:39

The No Children On Roll document says:

"The Childcare Act 2006 grants Ofsted the power to cancel the registration of a childminder who has not provided a childminding service for a continuous period of more than three years during which they were registered."

BrieVanDerKamp Mon 03-Aug-09 19:52:04

Oh 3 years, ok that's fine then, thanks Nick. I expect that if I don't take anything on within the first year or so then that'll be it and I'll cancel reg and insurance etc myself.

nannynick Mon 03-Aug-09 20:00:24

If you haven't told Ofsted that you are stopping childminding, then when next inspection comes around just notify them that there are no children on roll. Keep paying the annual fee.

Then if you feel you won't childmind for several years, then write to Ofsted enclosing your registration certificate saying that you are voluntarily De-Registering. That way Ofsted are not Cancelling your registration... instead you are, which then means you can start the application process again in the future.

Ripeberry Mon 03-Aug-09 20:10:08

Remember that when you re-apply, you will have to go through the whole registration process and the exam. Also in a few years time they want ALL childminders to have a minimum NVQ3 in childcare.

nannynick Mon 03-Aug-09 20:14:14

Good point Ripeberry... when reapplying it starts from scratch, so will need to meet requirements as they are at that time. As we all know, things change quite a lot over a period of time.
All childcarers within a short period of time I anticipate will need to be ISA registered... for example of a change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now