Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I wonder if you kind CM/Nannies could help please.

(6 Posts)
anonandlikeit Mon 03-Aug-09 19:11:36

I have always used a wonderful childminder but she is no longer able to look after my ds's.
Ds2 is disabled & now he is at school fulltime & getting bigger having him just in holiday time is not possible.

So here's my question, I have someone willing & able to look after both boys coming to our house each day. Are nannies registered childcare providers for tax credit purposes in the same as childminders are.

She is not a nanny, she is at Uni normally but is available for all the holidays & ds2 knows her which is the most important thing.

nannynick Mon 03-Aug-09 19:22:10

Some nannies are Ofsted registered in England. In Scotland the system is different, there the agency is registered rather than the nanny.

Your childcarer would need to register with Ofsted, which can take several months. They need to meet the requirements (I've tried to make a simplifed version of the info needed) which includes things like First Aid training, a childcare course covering Common Core, and liability insurance.

As DS2 is disabled... are you able to get Direct Payments (from Social Services) to pay towards childcare? Social Services may not be quite as fussy, though will want to do their own Criminal Records check. May be worth looking at, though it may take some considerable time to be approved.

anonandlikeit Mon 03-Aug-09 19:31:13

Thanks nannynick. It looks like I am just going to have to wave goodbye to my childcare tax credits & its going to cost me more for the person coming to our house.

I don't think it will be worth her while registering, she is at Uni doing a PE teachers course so a relevant subject but what with Uni Studies, Boys & her social life I don't think it will be worth it.
Also she has turned down other holiday jobs to be able to help me out so its not like she really needs the hassle. She could so easily earn the same elsewhere as we live in a coastal holiday town.

I have never had any respite from SS, TBH because I work part time i've always seen that as my respite so have never asked for an assessment.

nannynick Mon 03-Aug-09 19:42:11

If you want to find out more about Direct Payments and if your DS2 would qualify for them, then I suggest posting on the special needs board. Although you work, you may still be able to get some assistance with things. I know little about it but know that two families I babysit for have managed to get it.

Childcare element of WTC could be used for other things during school term time... such as after-school club. The HMRC booklet WTC5 (PDF) helps explain how to work the calculations out if you are not paying childcare all year round.

You are right that it isn't worth your Uni student registering, especially as the process can take several months, by which time the boys will be back at school.

anonandlikeit Mon 03-Aug-09 20:01:00

Thanks for all the info nannynick.
Out of choice I would love to stay with our old childminder but DS2 can't cope with her busy holiday house & she can't amnage his needs when she has her own two children plus other mindees sad

He has mild CP & Autism so not sure if he would qualify for direct payments, I will definately look in to it, thanks again x

nannynick Mon 03-Aug-09 20:09:48

I care for children with Autism, so he may qualify.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: