Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

late payment again

(25 Posts)
stomp Mon 03-Aug-09 18:33:11

i'm at a loss what to do with this new mum, she was late paying the first month ('lost chq book') and i had to ask her to go to the bank to get me cash- she looked shocked but did. second month no problem. Now this month no money in bag so i reminded her when she picked up. she laughed and said they had lost the chq book again but 'not to worry'. baby doesnt come again till friday, should i wait till then or expect her to drop it in....if i wait till friday that means i have to wait till wed or thursday for the chq to clear.....am i unreasonable to expect my money on time? i'm tempted to say cash from now on. i'm tempted to introduce a late payment fee....but i wont but i'm very fed up. thing is i've just (this wk) started providing food for baby too ....i think its a cheek angry

hana Mon 03-Aug-09 18:34:44

why wouldn't you introduce a late payment fee? aren't you running a business?

K999 Mon 03-Aug-09 18:35:45

Cant you get her to set up a standing order and that way you will hopefully get your money? Tbh I would introduce a late payment fee.....

stomp Mon 03-Aug-09 18:51:32

late payment fee.... well i've always had the idea that if someone couldnt afford to pay me then slapping a late payment fee on top wasnt really on.....but this is different-i'm certain she can afford it but just doesnt see paying me as 'important'

nbee84 Mon 03-Aug-09 18:57:54

Don't look at it that they 'can't afford' to pay you. It's an outgoing that they need budget for and need to pay.

If I 'couldn't afford' to pay my mortgage the bank would sure as hell charge me a late fee.

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 03-Aug-09 19:00:13

You're running a business, not a charity! You need to be very clear with her (and any other of your clients) that payment is due on a certain date, and if not paid then, that you will levy a late payment charge.

You are right. Her behaviour is a cheek, but you are letting her get away with it!

Ask her to set up a standing order - I do that with all of mine. The problem is there are many parents out there who don't realise we are running a business and don't actually do this for pocket money - apologies to all those parents who don't think this blush.

Definitely introduce a late payment fee - that will make sure they pay. smile

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 03-Aug-09 21:20:18

def charge her a late payment fee of £10 a day till they pay

grrrrrrrrrrrr - really pisses me off that some parents wont pay their childcare on time

if THEY didnt get paid on time from their job, they would kick up a right fuss!!!

SammyK Mon 03-Aug-09 21:42:27

You need to come down on this hard. If she is past the payment date on your contract call her asking her to bring the cash round tomorrow. (Does your contract stipulate payment method as well as date).

The only way to avoid this issue is to be completely business like and ballsy. I ended up charging in advance, and late fees, and always stuck to it. I once asked a mum to go to a cash machine and come back to me before ging to work, and had a mum threaten me on my doorstep to try to get me to back down over a £5 late payment fee. Both of these families were consistent late payers, and once they 'tried me' after me changing their plicies and saw I wouldn't back down, their cheque book was never lost again, diary lost (forgotten the date), etc.

It really IRKS me how cms get treated this way by people who are using their service to care for their dcs. angry

stomp Mon 03-Aug-09 22:47:55

i'm still p**d off. if she doesnt drop my money in tomorrow (i know se will be passing my house) i will phone her in the eve. i'm not having this. i put the bill in the book last time baby was with me, our agreement is she pays on the first monday of the month- inadvance- which was today.
i'm more cross at her attitude than anything, fancy laughing angry how dare she! i will not tell her how hard up i am, and i will not be made to feel i'm fussing over nothing. how dare she smile this morning knowing the money wasnt in the bag angryi'm so stupid not to have asked her- but then i've never come across this before sad

kittywise Mon 03-Aug-09 22:52:30

Well, does she go into shops and say " oops I've forgotten my cheque book, I'll pay for the shopping next week, ha, ha"?

You are running a business and she is taking the piss.

paranoidmother Mon 03-Aug-09 23:05:55

What would happen if you said that you couldn't have her dc until she had paid? Would that help? or is it something you can't or would prefer not to do?

Good luck,

little123 Mon 03-Aug-09 23:52:15

Have you thought about setting up a regular standing order, as opposed to having to chase payments all the time?

A cheque is also quite a slow payment method these days.

SammyK Tue 04-Aug-09 08:16:52

If you are paid in advance already (or supposed to be) make it clear that you need payment on drop off or they will be turned away for the 10 minutes it takes them to go to a cash machine/'find' their cheque book. Honestly, you will only have to do it once!

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 04-Aug-09 10:01:45

she is taking the piss and you are letting her (sorry)

chamaeleon Tue 04-Aug-09 10:06:14

A cm forum I go on has a lot of people who have given notice over late payment but have said they will consider renewing contract if payment is made within x days. You can then change the contract terms to include the late payment fee which I would have no hesitation in charging

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 04-Aug-09 18:26:45

STOMP - did you get paid today?

stomp Tue 04-Aug-09 19:01:04

no payment.
my policy (that i've never had to enforce before) says service will be withdrawn if full payment is not made within 7 days of due date and contract terminated if payment not received in 14 days. so i'm at her mercy really because she (works in finance) has probably looked at that and realised she can make me wait.

K999 Tue 04-Aug-09 19:05:45

Well its your business....you can change your policy!! smile

Dont be at her mercy. She'll only keep doing it!!

stomp Tue 04-Aug-09 19:18:57

ok guys, what are the legalities of changing a policy ? if I introduced a late payment fee?

K999 Tue 04-Aug-09 19:22:16

What do your terms and conditions say...is there a clause that stats "and I/we reserve the right to change/amend.....etc"??

stomp Tue 04-Aug-09 19:34:27

no K999, i use the NCMA contracts but include my policies as part of that contract- but nowhere does it state i reserve the right to change it - bother. well they say you live and learn......19 years of lovely parents has made me complacent

K999 Tue 04-Aug-09 19:42:27

It doesnt mean you cant change the contract! If I were you, I would issue a notice to parents to say that you will be introducing a policy of a late payment fee. Get them to sign the notice and give it back to you. Once you've done this then you can do what you like. The parents that always pay on time wont lose out but the parent that you want to target will know that you mean business! And tbh I bet you could fill her space a 100 times over! [smeil]

chamaeleon Tue 04-Aug-09 22:03:45

New policies come up all the time, swine flu, terrorism, late payment etc. If you are changing your terms she has the right to cancel her contract. Alternatively give her notice and say you will renew contract on the condition she pays on time in future.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 05-Aug-09 18:35:34

"my policy (that i've never had to enforce before) says service will be withdrawn if full payment is not made within 7 days of due date and contract terminated if payment not received in 14 days"

so basically stomp the parents can pay 7days late or 13days late and lose your services for that week and then pay on the 14th and there is bugger else you can do

why on earth do you have this in your contrcat?

def chnage your policys/contrcats and say is payment isnt on xx date then a £10late fee would be payab;e for every day late

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now