Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Looking for a childminder south of Cambridge

(5 Posts)
crabby Mon 03-Aug-09 14:19:29

Any advice or ideas please? I've tried the oppurtunity links page and the homerton network but there seems to be a real shortage around here...

Thanks!

allthatglisters Mon 03-Aug-09 22:14:27

Phone a childminder in the area you want and ask if you can visit even if there are no spaces, giving reason that you want to find out about childminding - any reasonable childminder won't mind. If you and DC seem nice, and you look like womeone who would pay on time, and that a childminder could work with, etc, then you may find a place can be found, perhaps with someone they know, or that a place suddenly comes up as its quite a changeable sort of business.

allthatglisters Mon 03-Aug-09 23:01:20

Sorry, typing error, I meant someone not womeone!

Also, could probably only try this approach once, as childminders in an area often know each other, and tell each other about enquiries.

ayla99 Fri 07-Aug-09 14:43:26

I know of a couple of spaces north of cambridge, if thats any help perhaps as a temporary arrangement til you find someone nearer?

Recommend you DON'T tick the box "immediate vacancies only" on the website as it doesn't seem to be very accurate. Its worth phoning the website 0845 04 54 014 (as some childminders withhold their details from the website apparently). Sometimes worth phoning childminders whether they say they have space or not. As their listing may not have been updated to their latest vacancy, or they may be aware of a future vacancy thats not listed on the website. Some childminders operate waiting lists. Even if they don't, its worth asking them to take your number in case their vacancies change in the near future. Many a time I've turned parents away because I'm full only to receive notice from another parent because they're moving/changed jobs etc.

Good luck smile

coolma Fri 07-Aug-09 16:35:57

I am in the same position and it seems to be virtually imposible at the moment. We are now going to have to put her in a full time private nursery as we can't get anyone to pick her from homerton. Incidentally, I am not at all impressed with the attitude of the homerton childminding co-ordinator, and am a long way from being the only one not happy with her - which is why I am mentioning it here..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now