Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club: I am a mature competent woman, a successful childminder & business woman - so why do I quake in my boots when it becomes time to put up my rates?

(19 Posts)
Katymac Sun 02-Aug-09 20:42:58

It's pathetic

It's sad

I need some backbone

I wish I were stronger sad

shoshe Sun 02-Aug-09 21:01:23

Do what I do, and put it in your handbook.

All rates will be increase as of the 1st September each year.

(I do it in September, cost then school age parents think they have got it good, as they didnt have to pay the increase through the Summer holiday.

dmo Sun 02-Aug-09 21:07:54

every september!!!!!!!!!!! mine have not gone up in yrs

how much do you increase it every september?

Katymac Sun 02-Aug-09 21:09:16

I increase rates in September for new people & previously existing customers are increased from the April as each contract is up for renewal the new contract is at the new rate

But I hate it

I wish I could do the 'pay what you think it's worth' as 2/3rd of my customer think I charge too little & 1/3rd too much hmm

TheIronLady Sun 02-Aug-09 21:10:41

Good idea to put in your handbook.

Take comfort in the knowledge that I am sure there are more than a few of us who feel this way.

It's not pathetic nor sad. Where's your spirit and I don't mean the alcoholic kind either grin?

Sorry no constructive advice smile

shoshe Sun 02-Aug-09 21:13:11

10p a year DMO. and that still keeps me under the cahrge down in the town, but the same as the rest of the CM's on Camp.

SillyMillysMummy Sun 02-Aug-09 21:35:04

i love shoshe grin <<SMM is away to write charge increases into her handbook>>

Katymac Sun 02-Aug-09 21:43:53

I know how hard it is for everyone atm & how much everything else has gone up

But I am struggling to afford the food I usually buy & I do need to put it up

Never mind the minimum wage rise in October

It's my own fault I didn't put it up last year because I only had 2 children left.....& virtually no staff

So it has to be between 6 & 7% an hour which is such a lot

I wish I made money at this

shoshe Sun 02-Aug-09 21:52:14

That is why I put it up 10p every year, Parents no it is going to happen so is not a shock, and I dont have to worry about telling them.

(I have just realised Increase Policy is not in emailed handbook I have sent to people, I took things out, that were personal to me,and wasnt sure if I should leave it in, so took it out)

Katymac Sun 02-Aug-09 22:16:53

I have just found out that a childminder near me charges 95p an hour less than me currently

Maybe I shouldn't put it up

atworknotworking Mon 03-Aug-09 06:46:35

shoshe thats a good idea, I guess if you do it each and every year then people just get used to it.

katymac I charge 3.50 per hour although I changed my FIS info to 3.75, as some people thought I was too cheep (havn't got anyone at that rate yet though, and not getting any enquiries either, but then neither is anyone else around here) most charge around 3.25 but there are a few who are 1.95, don't provide food though, but even so I think thats shocking.

I'm a bit confused really as my price hasnt changed for 4 years and I'm still expensive for my area, I think I should probably up it as it's been so long, but with a lot of mine having had hours / days cut, not sure its the way to go, I don't want to price myself out of the market.

I guess it's like everything, you get what you pay for I believe I provide a good service so I charge accordingly I bet that minder who charges 95p less than you is a bit rubbish wink

HSMM Mon 03-Aug-09 08:51:36

I do it at the same time every year. New rates go out with updates on emergency medical attention, permission for photos, etc, so it all gets signed off at once. (ie - if you don't sign for the rate increase, you also miss out on emergency medical attention grin). The parents know it is coming and expect to get the annual letter and it has never been questioned.

BrigitBigKnickers Mon 03-Aug-09 09:07:33

£3.50 sounds very cheap to me. The CM I have just finished using charges £4 an hour and has done for the last 3 years.

Katymac Mon 03-Aug-09 14:48:02

I broached the subject with a few parents & 25p seems reasonable to most of them

So off we go

I agree BrigitBigKnickers it doesn't seem a lot does it?

atworknotworking Mon 03-Aug-09 14:51:32

Do you reckon I should put my fees up then?

I've just been looking at Nannynicks survey result and figure I would get a hell of a lot more babysitting, without the contracts, paperwork and eyfs stuff to do, I don't know if there's much call for it locally though will have to do some research I think.

danthe4th Mon 03-Aug-09 19:47:42

I charge £4 an hour and am the most expensive around here but would not do it for less, I am happy with £8 per hour for 2 children during the day. I think any less money you start to need 3 children to make it worthwhile and that becomes harder needing a triple buggy and 3 car seats etc. I mind 2 16 month old children together and all the work that creates with diaries,observations equipment etc I can't believe how little some people charge.You are worth it!!!!

shoshe Mon 03-Aug-09 19:59:32

But dan, market forces also dictate how much you can charge, to be honest it dosnt really matter how much you think you are worth, it depends on how much parents can afford to pay.

All my parents are Forces (as in both parents are serving) they earn a good wage, enough that they do not get the childcare element of Tax Credits. They also both work fulltime so need full time care

Parents in the town, who in the most earn less, and as such can claim up to 80% tax Credits.

My Parents actually come away with less than the Parents in Town

So the Parents of the fulltime children I look after cannot afford to pay any more than the £3.50 an hour I charge.

danthe4th Tue 04-Aug-09 09:01:23

Yes you're right but it also depends what you include I suppose, I don't include meals but I do snacks and I also include petrol to local groups which can add up. I offer term time car for teachers but don't charge a retainer like some other minders so can justify the slightly higher charge. We all do it slightly differently.

shoshe Tue 04-Aug-09 20:06:03

My fee is all inclusive (apart from nappies) meals include breakfast for the early starts, snacks 2 course cooked lunch and tea for last finishers.

All outings petrol to outings included, but I do charge 1.50 pick up/drop off fee for school run that I do in the car.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now