Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Employing a youngster after school - what should I remember?

(18 Posts)
Katymac Sat 01-Aug-09 15:19:37

I have:

Job Description:

Helping with children and babies after school, 2 nights a week from 4:15 until 6:15.

Duties include: reading stories, playing games, organising craft activities, cleaning, washing dishes and tidying up.

Logistics: Either walk to the Junior School & meet up with the WC school run, return to the setting, get changed & have a snack/drink then starting work at 4:15 or arriving independently at 4:15. Need to be collected at 6:15.

Person Specification: Applicant needs to be:

• hard working,
• able to listen to instructions
• good memory
• reliable
• honest

They need a work permit - but I will organise that

What else am I missing?

colditz Sat 01-Aug-09 15:23:32

This sounds patronisiing and obvious - but remember that although s/he may look, speak and mostly act like an adult, s/he is NOT an adult, doesn't have adult experiences, understanding or judgement, and can't fairly be expected to. I work with teenagers, 13 to 18, and they can be surprisingly ignorant (and I mean that in the genuine sense of the word) about how and why we do things.

Katymac Sat 01-Aug-09 15:41:06

Oh I agree

I have had quite a few 17/18/19yos as trainees & they can be very hard work (typified by the one that wiped the floor with the dishcloth then put it back in the washing up bowl & carried on washing up with it hmm)

I have a 15yo atm but she wants to cut her hours (well reduce her days but work the same hours) & that will fit for me if I can find another 2 to work

Katymac Sat 01-Aug-09 16:36:20

Bump

I have also asked for parental consent

K999 Sat 01-Aug-09 16:38:29

Presumably you have to do disclosure checks on them?

Katymac Sat 01-Aug-09 16:54:54

Not for 14 & 15 yos

They class as children

I have a policy about not putting them in vulnerable situations or allowing them to be involved in nappy changing/toileting/making formula/applying suncream

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 01-Aug-09 16:57:38

School should provide you with a work permit for you to signm they did with me.

K999 Sat 01-Aug-09 17:00:29

Does your insurance cover them??

Katymac Sat 01-Aug-09 17:01:18

Oh I got mine from the council

Katymac Sat 01-Aug-09 17:02:49

Yep - I have employers liability which covers me for employees (whatever age) students & work placements - I have to pay extra for it

nannynick Sat 01-Aug-09 18:14:55

If they can supply a reference from someone they babysit for perhaps, from a youth group they belong to, or something along those lines it may help to get a feel for what they are like.

Trial period, so either of you can terminate the arrangement quickly if it doesn't work out.

Katymac Sat 01-Aug-09 20:41:54

Oh yes Nick 6 months trial - no notice seems a bit harsh - so I guess just a week

But I kinda know (best friends) with their High school Maths Teacher plus I am getting a reference from their Guide leader

islandofsodor Sun 02-Aug-09 16:11:11

There are specific rules with regard to emplying a school aged youngster. You have to apply for a permit from the Education Welfare Officer and make sure you adhere to the rules on hours etc. 4.15-6.15pm is within the two hours on a school night rule.

You have to perform a specific risk assessment taking into account the lack of maturity of a young person and share the findings with thier parents.

My LEA has a form for this but they do vary.

Katymac Sun 02-Aug-09 17:41:33

Yep - I already have one youngster with a work permit

I ideally wanted 2.5 hrs a night but it's not allowed

Seems a bit silly 2.5 hrs once or twice a week is much better than 2 hrs every day but there is probably a reason behind it

The risk assessment is hard but I base it on the one the schools use when they place work experience children with me

islandofsodor Sun 02-Aug-09 18:52:01

I know. I run an activity for children on a Friday night 4.30pm - 7.30pm. One girl left then came back to work for us and she could not work beyond 7.00pm or more than 2 hours assisting with the little ones yet she could stay all night taking part.

Katymac Sun 02-Aug-09 19:52:13

Quite frustrating

MissSunny Sun 02-Aug-09 23:59:53

Message withdrawn

Katymac Mon 03-Aug-09 07:40:43

Childcare setting

After school gets quite hectic with homework and tired babies & cooking tea & writing diaries - a youngster can do some of the running round for me (particularily when roundes is suggested - I think I am getting old), then they can do the dishes & clean the setting

I sound so lazy don't I - sorry but 10.5 hour days are getting me down atm - must be the heat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now