Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Employing a youngster after school - what should I remember?

(18 Posts)
Katymac Sat 01-Aug-09 15:19:37

I have:

Job Description:

Helping with children and babies after school, 2 nights a week from 4:15 until 6:15.

Duties include: reading stories, playing games, organising craft activities, cleaning, washing dishes and tidying up.

Logistics: Either walk to the Junior School & meet up with the WC school run, return to the setting, get changed & have a snack/drink then starting work at 4:15 or arriving independently at 4:15. Need to be collected at 6:15.

Person Specification: Applicant needs to be:

• hard working,
• able to listen to instructions
• good memory
• reliable
• honest

They need a work permit - but I will organise that

What else am I missing?

colditz Sat 01-Aug-09 15:23:32

This sounds patronisiing and obvious - but remember that although s/he may look, speak and mostly act like an adult, s/he is NOT an adult, doesn't have adult experiences, understanding or judgement, and can't fairly be expected to. I work with teenagers, 13 to 18, and they can be surprisingly ignorant (and I mean that in the genuine sense of the word) about how and why we do things.

Katymac Sat 01-Aug-09 15:41:06

Oh I agree

I have had quite a few 17/18/19yos as trainees & they can be very hard work (typified by the one that wiped the floor with the dishcloth then put it back in the washing up bowl & carried on washing up with it hmm)

I have a 15yo atm but she wants to cut her hours (well reduce her days but work the same hours) & that will fit for me if I can find another 2 to work

Katymac Sat 01-Aug-09 16:36:20

Bump

I have also asked for parental consent

K999 Sat 01-Aug-09 16:38:29

Presumably you have to do disclosure checks on them?

Katymac Sat 01-Aug-09 16:54:54

Not for 14 & 15 yos

They class as children

I have a policy about not putting them in vulnerable situations or allowing them to be involved in nappy changing/toileting/making formula/applying suncream

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 01-Aug-09 16:57:38

School should provide you with a work permit for you to signm they did with me.

K999 Sat 01-Aug-09 17:00:29

Does your insurance cover them??

Katymac Sat 01-Aug-09 17:01:18

Oh I got mine from the council

Katymac Sat 01-Aug-09 17:02:49

Yep - I have employers liability which covers me for employees (whatever age) students & work placements - I have to pay extra for it

nannynick Sat 01-Aug-09 18:14:55

If they can supply a reference from someone they babysit for perhaps, from a youth group they belong to, or something along those lines it may help to get a feel for what they are like.

Trial period, so either of you can terminate the arrangement quickly if it doesn't work out.

Katymac Sat 01-Aug-09 20:41:54

Oh yes Nick 6 months trial - no notice seems a bit harsh - so I guess just a week

But I kinda know (best friends) with their High school Maths Teacher plus I am getting a reference from their Guide leader

islandofsodor Sun 02-Aug-09 16:11:11

There are specific rules with regard to emplying a school aged youngster. You have to apply for a permit from the Education Welfare Officer and make sure you adhere to the rules on hours etc. 4.15-6.15pm is within the two hours on a school night rule.

You have to perform a specific risk assessment taking into account the lack of maturity of a young person and share the findings with thier parents.

My LEA has a form for this but they do vary.

Katymac Sun 02-Aug-09 17:41:33

Yep - I already have one youngster with a work permit

I ideally wanted 2.5 hrs a night but it's not allowed

Seems a bit silly 2.5 hrs once or twice a week is much better than 2 hrs every day but there is probably a reason behind it

The risk assessment is hard but I base it on the one the schools use when they place work experience children with me

islandofsodor Sun 02-Aug-09 18:52:01

I know. I run an activity for children on a Friday night 4.30pm - 7.30pm. One girl left then came back to work for us and she could not work beyond 7.00pm or more than 2 hours assisting with the little ones yet she could stay all night taking part.

Katymac Sun 02-Aug-09 19:52:13

Quite frustrating

MissSunny Sun 02-Aug-09 23:59:53

Message withdrawn

Katymac Mon 03-Aug-09 07:40:43

Childcare setting

After school gets quite hectic with homework and tired babies & cooking tea & writing diaries - a youngster can do some of the running round for me (particularily when roundes is suggested - I think I am getting old), then they can do the dishes & clean the setting

I sound so lazy don't I - sorry but 10.5 hour days are getting me down atm - must be the heat

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: