Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nannyshare hourly rate?

(17 Posts)
Supernanny19 Fri 31-Jul-09 21:19:36

What is the normal rate for london?

limonchik Fri 31-Jul-09 21:29:12

Anything up to 50% more than normal nanny rates - which depending on experience/qualifications could be £7-£12 gross an hour. A ball park guess would be £8-£10 at the lower end, £15-£18 at the top end.

chandellina Sun 02-Aug-09 09:37:19

50% more would be very steep, IMO. The most I've heard of was £13/net an hour, from a nanny who was getting £10/net initially for one family (who then wanted to make it a share.)

We were pleasantly surprised that we found a very experienced nanny whose rate was £10/net and was willing to do a share for the same price. (two children, share based at one house.)

We had two other nannies (with about 5 years experience) offer to do it for £9/net.

this is in the SE22 area.

limonchik Sun 02-Aug-09 10:05:24

Yes, 50% is definitely at the top end. £18 gross is about £13 net though, so our figures are about the same I think.

diamond2101 Wed 12-Aug-09 23:26:50

I did a 2 day nannyshare with two kids and got £12ph net (£6ph per family). Other nannies I know only get £10 for a nannyshare. It all depends on your experience and what the families can afford I suppose. I get £10ph for any 1 child/family and I wouldn't do a nannyshare for less than £12ph bcos I'm qualified and have over 10yrs experience.

Hope that helps.

chandellina Thu 13-Aug-09 10:42:09

my nanny has 35 years experience and amazing references but whatever you can get, more power to you ...

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 13-Aug-09 13:25:31

generally nannyshares in my area (kent) are time and a half

I charge £10ph and have done a nannyshare and got £15ph

average wage is £8 so most nannyshares would be £12

chandellina Thu 13-Aug-09 14:14:41

nannies: why would you charge up to 50% more for a share? a family doesn't pay 50% more if they two or more children. (not being confronational, just generally interested.)

Is it really 50% more work dealing with two families?

I would think it can end up being less work for the nanny. For example in our case, we don't expect our nanny to do laundry for our son, since she won't be doing it for the other family. (the share is based solely at our house.)

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 13-Aug-09 14:27:00

because you have 4 employers to please instead of 2 grin

nbee84 Thu 13-Aug-09 14:32:49

Haven't done a nannyshare myself so will be interested in the replies, but the things that come to my mind are the logistics of working out the holiday 3 ways - if one set of parents is off do you still get the usual rate or half of it - ensuring that you still get the 28 days off if parents are not taking time off at the same time - it could be more tricky to take a day off at short notice (ie hosp or dentist app) if you have 2 sets of parents that need to organise alternative childcare. You have 2 sets of parents to report to/follow rules/keep happy. You could have (but hopefully not!) parents with differing views on discipline/food/outings/naps etc. You may be working in different houses from week to week. You may be picking up or dropping children at the other parents house.

I'm sure people that have worked in a nannyshare will have more, but just from what I've put I think it is much easier to work for one employer.

nbee84 Thu 13-Aug-09 14:37:18

Also, a nannyshare with just 2 children sounds easy ish but I've seen jobs advertised for 4 children and when 2 of those are young babies it would put a lot of nannies off if it was normal nanny rates.

You've also got to factor in whether the job will be long term as either set of parents could have another baby - so will you still have a job with only one family or will you suddenly have to have a different family and children in the mix.

chandellina Thu 13-Aug-09 14:55:15

sorry but most of those reasons do not sound like they come anywhere near 50% more work (at least in the case of two children only being involed), IMO, and many of them are theoreticals that may or may not happen.

we will pay our nanny 52 weeks of the year at full pay - isn't that normal and indeed required?

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 13-Aug-09 15:06:16

you are lucky (and hopefully apprective) that your nany does a share and still wants the same money - costs you less smile

it is a lot more hassle from what i gather from friends who do shares often

normally shares are in both houses, so 2 lots of clothes to wash, beds to change etc

holidays are a right pain

tbh i wouldnt do a share again (mine was a temp one for 3mths) and that was enough

its fine if you have 2 familys whose views are the same on hygiene, disapline, food etc

nbee84 Thu 13-Aug-09 15:08:35

Iv'e not agreed that a nannyshare should get 50% more - but they should get a higher hourly rate than someone working for one employer. Yes, I suppose many of them are theoreticals, but I should imagine there is more chance of one or more of them happening than if you work for only one employer.

Yes, nanny should get paid 52 weeks of the year, but I was just wondering (and don't forget I haven't done a nanny share) how the logistics of the holiday work. Does nanny get her 2 weeks choice and the other family have to share their holiday weeks? If they don't then whilst family A have their two week holiday nanny is still working for family B and vice versa - so she has only had 2 weeks holiday.

I still think that pleasing 2 sets of parents and working in 2 households does equate to more work - and, whilst you may not, a lot of nanny shares still require the nanny to do nanny household duties.

nbee84 Thu 13-Aug-09 15:12:34

One of the benfits I get for working for one employer is the occasional early finish or even an afternoon or full day off.

If my boss gets home from work early or say the grandparents decide to take the children out for the afternoon I am usually allowed to go home.

I know it's a benefit and not an entitlement but working for 2 employers I should imagine any such benefit would be rare.

Oligo Thu 13-Aug-09 20:30:27

Don't have strong feelings on pay because nannyshares will vary so much from each other.

However in nearly every nanny job i have done i would consider working well with one set of parents' idiosyncracies alone about 50% of the job, compared to about 2% when working in a nursery.

It's difficult to convince parents of this without illustrating it with potential/past problems. And by mentioning these things it it easy to appear negative, untactful and judgemental of the new parents. The more experience you have the more you are aware of this i think. And blondes if your grin about pleasing 4 parents wasn't intended to tactfully make that point i apologise.

Now i think more about it: more children, more parents plus other things mentioned probably deserves something significatnly extra, to me.

navyeyelasH Fri 14-Aug-09 20:28:47

I get paid £2 more an hour on top of my usual rate for my share. TBH it's not that much more work physically but the logistics and balancing can be a nightmare!

The parents I work for are awesome though so if you had not so nice and more conflicting sets of parents I can see why some nannies would want 50% more!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now