Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Family not wanting to pay tax?

(13 Posts)
EverySingleStar Fri 31-Jul-09 16:15:25

I have recently been on an interview for a 3-day position (30 hours per week). They want to pay cash and say it is up to me whether I want to just keep the cash 'under the radar' or register as a self-employed nanny -

I KNOW I KNOW nannies can NOT be self-employed. However, it is under my impression that you can work for 3 or more families per week and then be self-employed? As this is a 3-day job, theoretically I could find another family for Monday, and yet a 3rd family for Friday, could I then register to be self-employed?

If not, should I just take the 3 day job as jobs are so scarce at the moment? Would I report that to HMRC?

Greatfun Fri 31-Jul-09 16:24:59

I can't advise you about whether or not you could be self employed as I dont know but my regular baby sitter is empolyed in such a way by the family she nannies for. It makes me quite angry as they are doing her out of her NI contributions and defrauding the tax system. If it were me I would think very carefully before taking this job. Dont suppose you are in SW London/Surrey as I would love a 3 day a week nanny. smile

EverySingleStar Fri 31-Jul-09 16:32:18

Greatfun As it happens I am right on the SW London/Surrey borders! My e-mail address is EverySingleStar@live.co.uk please do contact me!

well that could be a very worthwhile post for you both hope you are suitable for each other!!

Greatfun Fri 31-Jul-09 16:39:46

How bizarre! I will email you later. We may know each other. wink Before I get your hopes up I will say we probably can't afford you but you never know.

EverySingleStar Fri 31-Jul-09 16:45:43

Okay I will not hold my breath but sort of half-hold it at the same time grin

navyeyelasH Fri 31-Jul-09 16:52:52

"However, it is under my impression that you can work for 3 or more families per week and then be self-employed?"

This isn't true I'm afraid! Plus why would you want to be a self employed nanny when working for a family on a regular basis? You're doing yourself out of holiday and sick pay. Plus I bet they wont have a contract so could get rid of you in a shot and if their little one is ill they will be reluctant to cough up.

It's just not worth it IMO (i'm a nanny for 3 different families and also do self employed ADHOC/TEMPORARY work). If they want you that much they'd do things properly - I think trying to tax dodge on nannoes is basically saying you don't value them enough to treat them as employees.

If money is tight for the parents suggest a nanny share?

EverySingleStar Fri 31-Jul-09 17:21:52

We did discuss contracts and they said they're very happy to have one and cover all bases. Good to know about the number of families though!

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 31-Jul-09 17:45:29

to be se you dictict the hours/days you want to work - if you dont want to work a certain day then you can take it off

generally a nanny is employed

sounds to me everysinglestar that your family want to diddle you out of your money/save costs

bet if you said to them you would go se but want £15gross to cover your tax and ni,they would say no!!

tell your family that what they are doing is illegal, tax evasion and can hold a 6mth prison sentence and up to 3£3k fine

pasturesnew Fri 31-Jul-09 17:48:13

You need your employment rights to holiday, sick pay and in case of injury etc. so I would actually not take the job, seems like a sign of a bad employer to me.

Oligo Fri 31-Jul-09 20:52:44

i thought if you regularly work at a place then you are employee, including working regularly for three families- complicated but still and employee. maybe the family don't know the rules- can you say you've looked into it and its illegal and see what they say.

Greatfun Sun 02-Aug-09 21:19:02

Sorry ESS I am having an email crisis. I will get back to you with more details when I have the email fixed. Basically we have 2 DCs aged 3.10 and 16 months. DD goes to a nearby primary for nursery every afternoon which is a 20 minute walk. A driver would be better as in bad weather the walk to school is a bit far (or perhaps I am a wuss|).We need someone ofsted registered so we can use the vouchers. We need 3 days 8-5.45.We are right on the border of SW20 and Surrey. Open to a nanny share. I know its always difficult to say but we would like someone for at least a year. DD starts reception next year so not sure if we could still justify a nanny after that. As I said previously I dont thinnk we can afford a nanny but at least you now know what we are looking for. Thanks

poppy34 Sun 02-Aug-09 21:27:47

Blondes is right- and it's not something hmrc take any prisoners over either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now