Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nanny retainer?

(11 Posts)
Supernanny19 Thu 30-Jul-09 23:49:40

I have been offered a job from December, however
I'm aware this is rather advanced and last
time I was offered a position this early it fell through.
I was just wondering if asking for a small retainer was unreasonable or prehaps if you could suggest another way that would be great.

CarGirl Thu 30-Jul-09 23:51:35

Hmmmm a retainer that will be repayed split over your first 2 months wages?

Can you afford not to work until then?

Would you be able to start part time with them before that?

Supernanny19 Fri 31-Jul-09 00:03:40

I have a position until then. I was thinking 2 weeks money upfront and then in the last 2weeks of me working its unpaid?

littlestarschildminding Fri 31-Jul-09 08:16:35

Surely the family are taking the same gamble on you? You might change your mind in that time and they will then have to look for someone else.
Its very unusual for a nanny retainer to be paid and as a nanny employer it would probably put me off that particular nanny. Maybe slightly more acceptable if you were available now...and had to hang on for months with no wages.
As nanny jobs are few and far between compared to the number of nannies on the market I would tread carefully.
Why not ensure your contract is signed in advance, that gives you a little more security.

AtheneNoctua Fri 31-Jul-09 08:31:49

I agree. What if the employer wants a guarantee in return that you are in fact going to show up for work. A retainer is normally paid (to a childminder) because she can not fill that space with another child while she waits for yours to start. But, you have another job which is paying. So why would you need a retainer.

I agree with getting the contract signed. Maybe you could write into the contract a penalty for backing out with less than two months notice. But, I think the penalty should go both ways. So, you too should pay up if you decide not to take the job.

cinnamondanish Sun 02-Aug-09 20:09:15

I'm shortly to start a full time nanny job that I interviewed for at the end of May. They wanted me to start end of Aug beginning of Sept but I needed to find a job asap. The mum was so keen to hire me that she was the one who brought up the subject of a retainer. I managed to find temp work in a nursery which pays peanuts and she offered to top up my salary to make it a full nanny's wages until I could start full time with them.
I know my situation is different to yours as you are already in a job and are just moving on to your next family but I also asked this mum for a contract up front signed by both of us and in it it says that we need to give each other two weeks notice in the first 3 months of work if we are going to leave.
I would talk to this mum and make sure you got a signed contract stating when you are to start and normal contract ingredients etc as it would protect you from them pulling out at the last minute and would also reassure them that you are going to turn up.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 03-Aug-09 08:56:10

i have taken jobs that havent started for 2/3mths and i have always asked for a retianer, plus signed a contract and had in it that if job fell through i would get 2mths salary

i have to cover my back - parents were happy to sign it

basically you can ask for anything - doesnt mean you get it grin

though i see what athene is saying and tbh should go both ways

sure many familys have agreed to a nanny then that unprofessional nanny decided to take on a better paid job etc - and the family is basically up shit creek without a paddle

Supernanny19 Mon 03-Aug-09 12:31:40

Blondes how much retainer did you ask for?

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 03-Aug-09 17:30:53

my retainer was £25% of my salary a week plus then IF job fell through as did once years ago, i got 2mths salary as i had turned down other jobs for that job iyswim

HarrietTheSpy Mon 03-Aug-09 22:44:44

I wouldn't pay a retainer unless you COULDN'T WORK in the meantime or had to work for a lot less becuase you'd accepted our offer. But I think it is very acceptable to ask for a signed contract with some sort of break clause if they back out.

HarrietTheSpy Mon 03-Aug-09 22:47:09

I don't know. Having said that, I would probably just say: we need a nanny from this time, does it suit? I wouldn't pay masses in retainer. If I really really liked someone and felt they were being super accommodating at their expense I would probably try to sort some sort of bonus out for them. But I really think the this would be rare.

Break clause, sure though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now