Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What is the difference between a childminder and a nanny?

(10 Posts)
momfrombrooklyn Thu 30-Jul-09 08:55:09

HI looking to hire someone to help me out, but I don't know the difference between a childminder and a nanny. Also, looking for someone who speaks Hungarian - does anyone have some good ideas to find an Hungarian speaker?

CatIsSleepy Thu 30-Jul-09 08:56:44

childminder looks after children in her own home, nanny comes to you (and costs alot more!)

PuppyMonkey Thu 30-Jul-09 08:59:41

About £50? grin

disclaimer - I have no idea how much a nanny charges, so I realise this joke may have missed the mark.

AtheneNoctua Thu 30-Jul-09 10:24:53

I think we need a few more details in order to really be helpful here.

Number of kids?
Ages of kids?
Hours?
Could you manage a live in?
How important is the cost?

I think you are far more likely to find an au pair / nanny who speaks Hungarian that you are a local childminder. But I don't know if either of these suits your childcare needs.

AtheneNoctua Thu 30-Jul-09 10:25:44

Oh, and where are you? (general area, as prices in the UK change quite a lot dependant on area)

PaulaAtMummyKnowsBest Thu 30-Jul-09 13:21:24

a childminder charges you per child and you take the child to them. If your child is ill, they can't go to the childminder and you will need to find alternative childcare

a nanny charges per family and comes to you. She will also do other "nursery duties" ie the children's washing and ironing, keeping bedrooms and playrooms clean and tidy, batch cooking etc. A nanny will look after sick children.

So if you only have one child, a childminder will usually be cheaper but if you have several children, a nanny may be the better option.

ForExample Thu 30-Jul-09 13:24:24

a childminder is registered and inspected and a nanny is not. A Cm is self-employed, a nanny is an employee, and I believe you have to pay her tax

Is one of the differences. What you pay is as long as a piece of string, not always the case that a nanny is more expensive.

TheFinger2 Thu 30-Jul-09 16:00:30

I think you will find many nannies are registered by ofsted.

ForExample Thu 30-Jul-09 16:09:01

Oh interesting, that's a change from when I was sorting out childcare, is it compulsory for nannies to be ofsted registered now then?

nbee84 Thu 30-Jul-09 16:21:16

Nannies can register on the voluntary Ofsted register. We are not routinely inspected but it does ensure that the nanny has done paediatric first aid, has knowledge of the common core skills, has a crb check and has insurance.

Many nannies are becoming registered - mainly down to the fact that their employers claim childcare vouchers. Most of my nanny friends are registered, in fact only one is not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now