This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.
Just had a Policy for the Prevention of Swine 'flu from our childminder - what do you think?(10 Posts)
Can I start by saying that I am very happy with our childminder. I am a healthcare professional myself, and am aware of the current guideance re: swine flu
The policy has been produced due to the recent outbreak of swine flu to HELP prevent any further outbreaks of the virus at her childcare setting.
It's all ok, on about if a child is displaying flu like symptoms then they will need to be immediately collected.
If they are ill, then don't go to the Gp's - instead ring for advice
If they are diagnosed with swine flu then they can't go until all of their symptoms have gone.
That's all fine.
This paragraph though I'm not so happy about:
Any child with symptoms such as aches and pains, fever, sore throat, headache, diarrhoea, a cough or cold that could develop into something, should not attend.
Now forgive me, but how am I supposed to know if a cough or cold "could develop into something?!"
Also, if my dd has had a cough or runny nose before but she has been essentially well and able to cope with time at the childmiders then she has gone.
This policy now says that this won't be allowed to happen, therefore in essence the rules of the contract are changing. Where does that leave me in terms of paying for days when my dd is not allowed to attend because of a minor ailment when she would previously been fine to go?
Is that what it says, 'could develop into something' I would ask for clarification of what she means, bit too vague to be honest and a bit unfair. I'm a cm and have been following my usual health policy I'm not doing anything different,if a child is unwell they don't attend,full fee, if I or my family are unwell, no fee. I have also been asked by the LA to report any sf children or family in my setting as they are monitoring cases. I would accept children with coughs andcolds if they are well in themselves and it is deemed 'normal' as most children usually have snotty noses etc. But I am not in contact with vulnerable people, may be she is.I would not accept children on tamiflu or were obviously unwell, but that is my usual policy. I I started refusing to accept children with mild symptoms where does it end?
Cough or cold is OK, should not be excluded for that.
But you should NEVER send in a child with diarrhoea.
I think your CM was trying to list all the SF symptoms all at the same time.
Maybe she should mention that one of the main indicators of SF is a fever above 38.5c then maybe she should say that if the child's temp reaches that limit then the parent must come and collect straight away.
This is the awfull thing about SF, it comes on VERY rapidly and by then everyone could be infected.
I think all nurseries, CMs and places where kids congregate (schools) should have a few Spirogel stations and all visitors before they even set foot on the premises should use the gel.
I'm really dreading September/October, can you imagine the chaos if they close the schools?
Just noticed you say further outbreaks, does that mean the setting has already had sf, in that case I should think she is a bit fed up if she has been poorly and maybe som parents sent their children to her clearly poorly. just guessing, I should ask her.
Thank you both.
danthe4th yes it does ue those exact words and as far as I know she is not in contact with any vulnerable people. She has not had any cases in her setting so far - at least not that she's told me and I hope she would have mentioned it if she had.
That is my point, if she refuses to have my dd with mild symptoms where will it end??
Ripeberry My dd went to a nursery for 2 years before starting with our cm. I also work in a hospital so am aware about diarroea and wouldn't dream of sending her if she had even a single bout. I think you're right about a cough or cold being ok, and perhaps that with a temperature of 38.5 or above should be the exclusion criteria.
I will speak to her about it.
I think the CM is trying her best to cover all bases,and not quite saying it right, we sent out a revised proceedures back in April when H1N1 went to phase 5 which basically listed the known symptoms and aaured parents that we would impliment additional hygiene proceedures to help keep the mindees safe one of which was to use gel upon entering and leaving the premises, we also stated that mild cold symptoms would be treated as usual ie:mindees monitored and cared for appropriately, but if symptoms progressed rapidly during the day or further symptoms presented in addition we would isolate the child and request that they are collected asap.
From a CM point of view we basically got very little support and guidance regarding this I finally got something on Saturday (bit late like) which basically said what I have already written above, if we have to close we don't get paid if we don't have business interruption insurnce and for many of us we don't have this cover (and those that do are finding that it doesnt cover H1N1) so i can appreciate that some cm's are being very cautious, but sadly we do have parents who forget to mention that their children have been up all night with D&V and it is an issue with a lot of us - obviously your responsible enough and knowledgeable enough to realise the implications of cross infection, but bear in mind that the letter you got was also sent to all of the other mindees parents that may not be.
Don't take it personally, ask your CM for clarification, I don't know that it would change your contract though as policy's can be changed and updated numerous times throughout a contract period often to reflect new government rulings, unless of course you have specific wording on your contract re: sickness & exclusion.
I spoke to her today, and while she can see what I'm trying to say, she needs to talk to the National Association of Childminders (or something along those lines!) for advice.
I've not signed the policy yet though and am hoping it can be reworded into something more workable.
Thanks for your help and ideas.
If she's going to speak to ncma thenyou should find she'll back down as they are advising us to follow government guidelines, have a look on the ncma website and then you'll be clear what to say.
I just went and had another read of the document 'guidance for childcare and early years settings' and it's very clear that we carry on as normal unless either we or our families become ill or the children we care for are actually ill with flu.
Thanks for that. I'm waiting to see what she comes back with.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.