Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO ? I'M ILL !!

(96 Posts)
SPROUTSANDBUMSEXDONTGOTOGETHER Tue 28-Jul-09 14:26:06

I have a dilemna, I have been feeling crap since yesterday evening..very sore throat, mild headache, bad stomac, diahorea blush, body aches, 38 degrees temp, I feel bad. Dont think it's the big one but clearly a bug !

I have a 9 month old with me, should I send him home in order to limit the risk of contagion or shall I wait for tonight ?

SPROUTSANDBUMSEXDONTGOTOGETHER Tue 28-Jul-09 14:27:17

Oups I have meant to change my nickname !

AvadaKedavra Tue 28-Jul-09 14:31:33

You really shouldn't have started work at all with diahorrea so yes send home and then don't work again till 24/48 hrs (whatever the guidelines are in your area) past it clearing.

Hope you feel better soon.

Summerfruit Tue 28-Jul-09 14:38:02

THANKS ! for advice !

scottishmummy Tue 28-Jul-09 14:38:16

Message withdrawn

rubyslippers Tue 28-Jul-09 14:39:19

i think the parents will be furious with you

there is no dilemma - call them now

Summerfruit Tue 28-Jul-09 14:40:41

Just had the sore thread and tired this morning, I didnt want to be too fussy..It only got worst a couple of hours ago..didnt want to leave the parents down and I'm careful as well..

scottishmummy Tue 28-Jul-09 14:41:53

Message withdrawn

aGalChangedHerName Tue 28-Jul-09 14:42:43

God what a nice post SM hmm

Have you never felt a wee bit wabbit for it to turn into something bad later on???

Phone the parents and tell them you are ill,if they are like some of mine they wont pick up anyway.

rubyslippers Tue 28-Jul-09 14:43:08

as soon as your upset tummy kicked in and fever you should have called the parents

they wont' thank you if their baby gets poorly

you wouldn't hesiate to send an ill child home (i assume)?

yes, it is a PITA for the parents but so is an ill baby

aGalChangedHerName Tue 28-Jul-09 14:43:55

Hope they are nice understanding parents Summerfruit and do pick up.

Feel better soon xx

bradsmissus Tue 28-Jul-09 14:44:42

Can you imagine the uproar from childcare professionals if this was a mother asking if it was ok to send their child to the CM with the same symptoms.

I use a CM and would be quite mad if she had these symptoms and didn't at least offer me the chance to make my own decision about whether to leave DCs with her.

scottishmummy Tue 28-Jul-09 14:45:12

if i were the parents id call ofsted and report you

lets see what would parents prefer
a CM with diahorrea,and eleveted temp
b inconvenience of collecting their child to remove form sick environment

you know what this is why i chose nursery,they at least have checks and balances others to oversee.if someone phone is sick they call agency or relief worker. they dont just greedily soldier on

MovingOutOfBlighty Tue 28-Jul-09 14:45:16

Think you are being a bit unfair SM.

When I got swine flu last week I felt absolutely fine first thing in the morning but within an hour mid morning I felt like a train wreck. It does come on very fast.

I hope you feel better soon Summer. I would certainly call the parents reight away and then the onus is on them with how they want to deal with it.

rubyslippers Tue 28-Jul-09 14:47:22

i don;t think SM is being unfair

a 9 month baby being cared for by a CM with all those symptoms - as soon as there was as escalation in the symptoms the parents should have been called - there is, IMO, no debate to be had

the child needs to be taken home ASAP

aGalChangedHerName Tue 28-Jul-09 14:47:28

You would report to Ofsted? FFS!!

I have been really ill (not SF) and parents have said they would much rather i just be a good little CM and soldier on. Not all parents are as lovely as you SM hmm Thank fuck!!

scottishmummy Tue 28-Jul-09 14:47:51

if i feel sick i dont go to work and infect everyone. i am a responsible adult

hope they are incandescent parents who read the riot act and call ofsted

what is all this oh diddums get well soon?
hope another CM comes along and reassures me you all dont do this

rubyslippers Tue 28-Jul-09 14:48:44

you have parents that would rather you soldier on?!

really - how utterly selfish of them (for you and their children)

MovingOutOfBlighty Tue 28-Jul-09 14:50:42

But the poster said she just had a headache and was tired this morning when she accepted the baby into her care. I wouldn't cancel work for that.

The symptoms have developed since. For the ones now described I would cancel work. Which is hopefully what she is going to do.

aGalChangedHerName Tue 28-Jul-09 14:51:19

Yes Ruby i have had lots of parents like that. Also love the parents who say call me if wee Jonny doesn't improve (temp or whatever) and then turn their phones off.

I would always phone a parent if i was that ill FWIW but as someone has already said feeling ropey can escalate into feeling really shit quickly.

scottishmummy Tue 28-Jul-09 14:53:48

popping onto paeds and oncology wd if i had diahorrea and temp would that be ok? No of course not

you wouldnt tolerate a doctor or staff with those symptoms.No of ciurse not

differenec is they wouldnt come to work

AtheneNoctua Tue 28-Jul-09 14:55:48

I think you should be prepared to care for that baby when it turns up sick.

And, frankly, anyone who wakes up with a sore throat and feeling a bit unwell ought to see big white "SWINE FLU" flag waving before them.

MovingOutOfBlighty Tue 28-Jul-09 14:56:17

But SM, you are not seeing that she didn't go to work like that, this developed since she has been at work.

And most doctors would go into work with the initial symptoms the OP described. Pretty sure the poster didn't keep hold of the DC just to be greedy. Thats a pretty big leap.

TarkaLiotta Tue 28-Jul-09 14:57:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scottishmummy Tue 28-Jul-09 14:58:22

actually no her op says "I have been feeling crap since yesterday evening..very sore throat, mild headache, bad stomac, diahorea , body aches, 38 degrees temp"

she then backtracks and changes story

Just had the sore thread and tired this morning, I didnt want to be too fussy..It only got worst a couple of hours ago..didnt want to leave the parents down and I'm careful as well..

i think when she received a poor response she backtracked and changed her story to save face

funny that,how it changes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now