Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Parent wants sibling of 11 years to collect mindee 9 years....

(11 Posts)
star1976 Mon 27-Jul-09 09:31:46

Is there a 'rule' about the age of someone collecting a child???

Been childminding both children after school but she leaves to go to secondary school in September, mum has said that boy will still come here but that daughter will collect.

Advice please!!!!!

MaureenMLove Mon 27-Jul-09 09:36:04

How far away from your house do they live? I had a similar situation years ago, but the family only lived 3 doors up, so if there was a real problem, I was still around iyswim.

Personally, I wouldn't want to shoulder my DD with that responsibility, but everyone is different. As long as you have another policy(!) in place stating that that is what the parents want, then I don't think there's much you can do.

Katymac Mon 27-Jul-09 09:36:38

Yep there is a rule in EYFS - I'm sure but I can't remember where

It's 16 & over, iirc

MaureenMLove Mon 27-Jul-09 09:41:15

See, that's why I gave up!grin EYFS wasn't in place when I had that particular family!

star1976 Mon 27-Jul-09 09:48:32

Thank you! Shall look through till I find it so that I can quote it to the parent.

I wouldn't have felt comfortable letting these children go alone, just needed something I could tell the parent so that it wasn't just on my say so.

They live a 20/30 minute walk away and are very VERY young for their age, iykwim.

If I were the mum I would be worried about the daughter coming home from school on her own, never mind letting her take responsibility for her brother too.

Oligo Wed 29-Jul-09 22:28:29

perhaps it does depend on individual children and what the route/area is like. I can envisage children i know and have known doing this and it being acceptable. In fact did it myself when i was 10 and i'm not that old. I'm not a cm and find it odd you'd have rules telling you that even if the parents say its fine and if it is not unreasonable parenting that you shouldn't do it. Surely they can give permission in writing.

Katymac Thu 30-Jul-09 08:00:47

Oilgo - we have lots of rules telling us to do/not to do things that parents might not agree with

Tonnes in fact

frasersmummy Thu 30-Jul-09 08:14:17

In my opinion some of these rules are just complete madness

Surely a responsible cm and a parent having a discussion and signing up to rules that work for child/parent/cm would be better than flaming ofsted/eyfs/the care commission just making blanket rules

I say this as a parent who has come up against some of these mad rules at nursery

Oligo Thu 30-Jul-09 13:48:49

surely this is about care of a child when their childminding session has ended though, not about being extra careful while they are in your sole charge in order to avoid --an accident-- litigation.

Oligo Thu 30-Jul-09 13:49:59

well that strike out thing didn't work for me

Oligo Thu 30-Jul-09 13:51:03

i see i should have maybe done it just for one word

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now