Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder's Club: Well girls we are officially full!!!!

(10 Posts)
KatieMac Sun 22-May-05 21:21:11

Well we have 1 space on a Thursday and 3 hrs on Wed & Fri mornings....but we have decided to say no to any new children (famous last words)

We actually have 2 Full-time spaces (according to our reg nos) but we want to 'grow accustomed' to the numbers we currently have. We will look at it again in August (we think).

We are having extra help so DH can do the house work and I can attempt my NVQ (in solitude)

The only exception is if the mum who wants F/T twins rings up (she came to visit a few weeks ago & never got back to us)

I've also bought some white boards so that I can timetable properly...lots of fun

How are things in childminding land? are all the MN C/Mers aok?
Gossip with me please

BethAndHerBrood Mon 23-May-05 11:39:53

Well, i'm very pleased for you, no, really i am, but i am still languishing in the land of no mindees

TBH, after so long without any customers it's very tempting to chuck it all in!! Can't resign until september though, or i have to give my grant back - and i haven't got it any more!!!

lunavix Mon 23-May-05 13:24:53

Well done Katie

I still have my one mindee two mornings, and twins three full days (the other days). Absolutely loving it. Ofsted turned down my request to have all three mindees on the same day (which tbh was fair enough, they are all under 2 as is ds!) and they've sprung my inspection on me this week!! So I have one eye on the window looking for a smartly dressed woman...

Meeting with network coordinator went well, she says there should be no problem at all joining, (next meeting two days before my wedding argh!!) and she wants me to do the nvq3... oh well I would love a qualification to back up my work

I am expecting a call this week about holiday-time care for a 5 year old too...

Does anyone have any good resources for play ideas? Due to some very uninterested issues of mine I'm not so imaginative and get stuck sometimes thinking of fun - and educational - things to do. I have a few books which I get ideas from, but do you think a playwork course might help??

Anyways, that's me done for now!

blodwen Mon 23-May-05 20:07:31

Courses on play do give lots of ideas. So does NVQ3. Although it was very time consuming, I did enjoy doing it, and it really 'refreshes' the childminding I found. Some fun ideas (and educational too) are... custard powder and water mixed together on a tray- when the consistency is just right, it's like magic), little 'things' floating (or sinking) in a bowl of water and tea strainers to catch them with - mine love this!, shaving foam squirted on the table to play with, draw in etc., cooked, coloured spaghetti is lovely to play and make patterns with (add a bit of oil), water & a drop of washing up liquid in a cup or bowl with a straw (as long as they are big enough to blow, not suck!) - put a big towel on the table as the bubbles go everywhere! Have fun!

mum2akebk Mon 23-May-05 20:08:28

I am new 2 posting on here and its great 2 hear of cms filling vacancies. I have been cm since November and at present have 2 after school children. Ideally I would likke 2 look after at least one pre-school child but there seem 2 b an abundance of nurseries in my area (with one in my road looking 2 expand ). I wonder whether you could tell me if you advertised to fill vacancies or if you relied on cis or word of mouth.

Thanks

blodwen Mon 23-May-05 20:16:37

I have been very lucky, and have not needed to advertise. Mine have all come by word of mouth. But I have been doing it for a long time, and it's much easier when you are established I think. I would try advertising, and keep phoning CIS to get your name to the top of the list. It may be worth introducing yourself to local playgroup and school office staff - they often get enquiries. Good luck!

alibubbles Tue 24-May-05 10:07:31

Message withdrawn

KatieMac Tue 24-May-05 20:10:03

Alibubbles - wishing you lots of luck for your OFSTED.....will you be the first accredited C/Mer on M/N (funny I thought you were already accredited )

I hope it goes well - I'm enjoying my white boards

alibubbles Wed 25-May-05 10:43:42

Message withdrawn

alison222 Fri 27-May-05 14:51:57

Hi all, I am still looking for work - I got some short term work to tide me over the summer but am now trying to fill vacancies for Sept. I have one mum coming back with husband though so fingers crossed.
I'm going on holiday tomorow so should be packing and not reading this at all.
Just checked the weather in Italy and it looks hotter and suuier here . TYPICAL!!!!
Good luck wiht fulling your vacancies mum2akebk.
How were ofsted Allibubles? and how different is it from a normal inspection? Come to that has anyone had one of the new style ones yet? I'd love to know what to expect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now