Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club: I have brought 3 EYFS folders up to date - only 10 to go

(27 Posts)
Katymac Sun 26-Jul-09 12:10:53

hmm

It has only taken 4.5 hours.....so is that 15 hours to go? Or will I get faster?

Katymac Sun 26-Jul-09 13:00:02

Another one done & I'm having a break for lunch

Gosh eating ets in the way of work doesn't it?

cookielove Sun 26-Jul-09 13:01:55

i assume they are much like are nursery ones and i find it takes longer and longer to complete the more i do

Katymac Sun 26-Jul-09 13:11:47

Pretty much the same

DO you get non-contact time or are you evenings & weekends like us CMers?

Katymac Sun 26-Jul-09 13:45:08

Back to work

Isn't it odd I don't even allow myself 2 EYFS folders worth of downtime for lunch before getting back to it

hmm

Katymac Sun 26-Jul-09 15:55:55

Hmm I'm giving up for now

I have completed 6 but I think I'm getting slowly (like you said cookielove)

8.5 hours means an average of 1 hr 10 min a child (I took 1.5 for lunch)

That does not bode well for this evening

I am off for a nap & when I get up I will hopefully make up some time, I am very behind since DH went off poorly

HSMM Sun 26-Jul-09 18:03:16

What on earth are you doing to them? I just shove paperwork in mine as I go along! (but I'm sure you're doing it properly and better than I do)

cookielove Sun 26-Jul-09 18:34:27

What we try to do during term time is have time outs during the day one a week for three staff members one hour each, obviously this is not enough and we always have to take them home. We also can't always have time outs due to many reasons, and i as room officer often sacrfice my time out for someone else.

What we tend to do is have 20 or so spontanous observations 4-5 large observations, art work, structured work, and then an evaluation of everything.

Katymac Sun 26-Jul-09 19:19:16

I have to be honest (& very vain & boastful) but they are beautiful pieces of work

I struggle to get stuff on paper with a pen, so I take photos & link then on excel then print pages out

Other childminders/nurseries & even children's centres visit to see how I do stuff - I am very proud of what I do (I guess that comes across)

This weekend I have been setting up a system whereby the links fill themselves in automatically (using a lookup table).

In future the sheets will take only a few minutes each week - but I got a backlog because of DH being ill

cookielove Sun 26-Jul-09 19:28:33

oh yeah we put photo's in to, i can be boastful to, as whenever ofsted see are books that are now folders they have always been impressed how much work and effort we put into it, a parent recently took their child out of a nursery and put him in ours, she loves us and showed us his development folder from other nursery it was all creative, no photos or anything my work colleague just gave it back to her as it didn't provide us with anything useful

Katymac Sun 26-Jul-09 19:36:40

I know EYFS has made a lot of work for us childminders but I do think some of it is a good thing - especially for a larger setting like mine.

But I couldn't do it all by myself, if I worked alone I would struggle

HSMM Mon 27-Jul-09 08:06:05

The local pre school love it when I add the children's stuff to their files before they transfer to school, etc, because they say it is better than theirs smile.

alibubbles Mon 27-Jul-09 13:55:08

katymac, any chance of seeing your excel document? I am also way, way behind. Hopefully one child will leave before Ofsted!!

TheIronLady Mon 27-Jul-09 14:16:23

Katymac

What was that, a system whereby the links fill themselves in automatically, using a lookup table, on a spreadsheet? You are so clever smile. I don't suppose you would share would you??

I too am so behind but have started to devote my day off on a Friday to trying to catch up, I only have five folders to do!!

Hope you enjoy your nap, my mindees are napping and so tempted to put my legs up on sofa and join them!

We are doing activities today to celebrate Beatrix Potters birthday which I think is tomorrow, so just popped on computer to prints some things off for the children but seem to have detracted from the task in hand grin

alibubbles Mon 27-Jul-09 14:59:21

katymac, you should sell your stuff like Sarah Neville does. She doesn't charge a lot,but it goes a long way to covering time and costs! Lots of us would happily pay. smile

TheIronLady Mon 27-Jul-09 15:07:41

Allibubbles, I second that too, I have had some of Sarah's stuff and the info that has been contained in some of the packs I have received recently have literally been my saviour and so exlanatory.

I would happily buy Katymac's 'spreadsheet' package.

There you go Katy, that's two customers already smile

Katymac Mon 27-Jul-09 16:17:14

No chance do you know how much insurance I would have to pay for that?

I'd rather give it away tbh - anyone that wants just needs to email me

You will have to mess around with your pages sizes& photo sizes mine works for my pinter

alibubbles Mon 27-Jul-09 16:52:18

I don't have your email address anymore, or anything that you have sent me in the past as my computer logic board died and I hadn't saved a lot of stuff sad I was backed up until October 2008, but a lesson learned. I now hard a virtual hard disc, that backs up automatically for me, I hope!

alibubbles Mon 27-Jul-09 16:54:50

Think Ali, use your brain! Ah, I know your website, will go hunting.

Katymac Mon 27-Jul-09 17:37:40

You found me then wink

alibubbles Mon 27-Jul-09 21:11:41

smile

How are your chickens?

Mine are sulking as my neighbour has been cooking for them every night!!!! mashed new potatoes, sweetcorn, peas and so on!

okay, I give them Alpen with probiotic yoghurt, but.... 2 eggs from 7 chooks today?

Katymac Mon 27-Jul-09 21:22:02

Well we haven't been doing well

My 2 new ones have been vaccinated & the older one must be kept separate for a few weeks apparently

Did the worksheet make sense?

Katymac Tue 28-Jul-09 07:47:25

I am now working on using the planning on the last page to inform an observation sheet

So you will get (I hope)

a next step => an observation => links => an evaluation => another next step

so say child a
"Child A willingly tries new food; what can we offer her that is new & tasty"

That would lead to
Child A tried fresh coconut=>

Keeping Safe:Making Choices:Stay Safe
Supporting Learning:Listening to Children:Make a Positive Contribution
Personal Social & Emotional: Dispositions & attitudes
Physical Development: Health & awareness

=> Child A hated the coconut => so we try a different food

Maybe? (like the obs sheet I think you all have but in a different order??)

atworknotworking Tue 28-Jul-09 08:44:08

Hi kayty I've been trying to do something similar to this just to make things a bit quicker having trouble sizing the pictures, can't get the hang of pixel things. Yours sounds a lot more professional than mine blush and it doesnt link the next step planning what programme are you using?

Katymac Tue 28-Jul-09 08:55:56

Just excel

I can't do the picture size thing - I just import them & then resize (it takes a while)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now