Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

New Au pair did not arrive. Has anyone else had this problem?

(15 Posts)
jb707 Fri 24-Jul-09 19:20:49

Since the no show of our new aupair i am wondering if i was unlucky or is it a common problem?
I have arranged for another aupair who will arrive in the next week or so but i keep thinking the same will happen.

DadInsteadofMum Sat 25-Jul-09 11:51:06

Had one who missed a plane and arrived a day late but otherwise all here. Very unlikely that lightning will strike the same place.

What explanation was offered?

Totallyfloaty35 Sat 25-Jul-09 15:58:48

Had one who got detained at airport,she had no visa,she was convinced that as she had been for her interview she automatically had one,she got deported.She was from NZ.Had one that missed flight,came the next day and a few that arrived and disappeared same day or next day(all from countries that needed visas)
They mostly all turn up though,so dont worry

jb707 Sun 26-Jul-09 11:04:45

I sent him a welcome to the UK text to which he replied but when i tried to call him later whilst waiting the bus station and he has failed to answer or return emails since.

limonchik Sun 26-Jul-09 11:37:01

Maybe something happened to him? Can you contact his family?

LIZS Sun 26-Jul-09 20:38:07

have you located him yet ?

Millarkie Sun 26-Jul-09 20:56:59

How old were they and do you have family contact details? Do you think it likely that they were just looking for an easy way through immigration? (I only take EU au pairs so don't have the visa issues).

cheapskatemum Sun 26-Jul-09 22:30:05

Bad luck! I've never had this problem and I've had many APs since in the last 16 years. It seems, though that Millarkie might have a point. Totallyfloaty, did you report them to immigration?

DadInsteadofMum Thu 30-Jul-09 14:57:55

any news on what happened? been deported?

Totallyfloaty35 Thu 30-Jul-09 16:30:08

Yes i reported my no-shows as they were all registered at my address.

jb707 Thu 30-Jul-09 21:41:15

He has not returned my calls or emails. He is 26 and Romania- i am wonderinf if some sort of scam?

cheapskatemum Thu 30-Jul-09 21:53:50

Bad luck. I would report him, though as I remember, it's a PITA: writing to an address in Lambs Conduit Street.

jb707 Fri 31-Jul-09 13:33:43

Cheapskate- who should i writing to Conduit Street? I have just arranged for another Romanian to come- do you think the same thing will happen?

LIZS Fri 31-Jul-09 13:35:37

Definitely report him , are you sponsoring his entry ?

cheapskatemum Fri 31-Jul-09 23:05:38

jb707, I'm sorry, I can't remember as it was about 10 years ago a Turkish AP registered to my address left earlier than we'd agreed. Try Directgov.com?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now