Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do you pay your nanny by cash, cheque or direct debit weekly or monthly?

(24 Posts)
mellow2 Fri 24-Jul-09 11:49:38

It's the first time we've hired a nanny and she's been with us about 3 months.

Atm, she's being paid by bank transfer every Friday. As it happens through Faster payments, it reaches her bank account on the same day. I tried direct debit but it was difficult to adjust payment when she took sick or unpaid leave (she's booked up 18 of her 20 day allocation so she chose to take unpaid leave 1 day to renew car tax when it expired).

I offered to pay her by cheque on a Tuesday but she says it's too difficult for her to deposit a cheque with her bank.

Can I just find out what the norm is?

I can foresee having to pay a different wage if she took more sick or unpaid leave.

mellow2 Fri 24-Jul-09 11:54:51

Sorry, forgot to mention that I'm finding it difficult to remember to pay her at the end of Thursday. And I get bugged with texts on Friday morning (as early as 8.30am) about the money not being in her account.

I just want to understand if is it common to pay by cheque on Friday or do people pay in advance so she can deposit cheque and ensure the money is in her account by Friday?

Apologies for the long post.

ThingOne Fri 24-Jul-09 11:59:50

Pay by bank transfer in advance so that it reaches her account on the right day.

I set an alarm on my phone so I remember to pay on time.

Oligo Fri 24-Jul-09 12:18:04

think it just depends what works and if it is not working for you it might need changing.

I've been paid into my bank monthly either in middle of month or at end; monthly by cheque; or weekly in cash. Never weekly into bank or by cheque as too much bother.

could you pay monthly in arrears by standing order so you don't have to think about it every week?

Sick pay and unpaid leave can still be adjusted for but over the month.

do you have payment details in contract though?

AtheneNoctua Fri 24-Jul-09 12:55:01

Weekly sounds like a real pain. I pay monthly in arrears, same way I get paid. So, when I am paid, I go in and transfer/pay the month's bills online, including nanny's salary straight into her bank account.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 24-Jul-09 13:09:18

same as athene

i get paid monthly and at end of month once mb gets paid - is in my account somewhere around 28th or beofre but never later as lots of my dd/mortgage come out on 1st

mellow - your nanny took a day off sick to renew her car tax? hmm

i need to work over a day to PAY my car tax grin

i renew online,as i do most things online

my friend does get paid weekly, she works 3 days twt and money is in her account on the friday

why cant your nanny go and deposit a cheque with a bank hmm

mellow2 Fri 24-Jul-09 13:30:16

Weekly is a real pain. I had wanted to pay monthly but the nanny had wanted to be paid weekly.

Athena, I've emailed you at your work address.

MrsFrin Fri 24-Jul-09 13:33:37

I do a bank transfer monthly, once I've added in extra babysitting etc and give her a payslip at the same time. It doesn't matter that it's a different amount each month and is quick with online banking.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 24-Jul-09 13:40:55

tell the nanny that you need to change to monthly

tbh most people i know (apart from my friend) are paid monthly

its called joining the grown up world grin

so times her weekly pay by 52 and divide by 12 and thats the amount you put in her account once a month

jujumaman Fri 24-Jul-09 13:42:52

I'm sure monthly is normal - I pay mine monthly by online bank transfer. I think you should put your foot down, easier said than done from one who is walked over by her nanny

theoriginalmummypoppins Fri 24-Jul-09 14:15:23

Monthly is absolutely the norm. Its far too much of a pain to do anything else.

Why dont you gradually change over. Pay her every 2 weeks for a couple of months and then monthly. That will give her chamce to organise her finances to accomodate.

As blondes says its called joining the grown up world.

Its never acceptable to pay late but other than that its got to be easy for you otherwise what is the point !

nannyL Fri 24-Jul-09 14:25:22

I get paid monthly by direct debit

i wont have it any other way... we both have internet banking, i work often 12 hours a day and i really do NOT want to use my preciouse hours going to the bank.

it is not acceptable to be paid let (said by the nanny who has been paid on time 9 / 33 months she has worked for her current employer angryhmm)

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 24-Jul-09 14:46:57

lets hope your new employers manage to pay you on time nannyl!!

the first month i went from weekly to monthly (about 14years ago) - i admit it was hell - felt so skint sad but then was mega rich at end of month grin

thinking about it, i dont know anyone who is paid by cheque for a perm job - its all online/dd into bank account - i get the odd cheque from my ad hoc/temp work

limonchik Fri 24-Jul-09 15:14:28

I get paid weekly by bank transfer.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 24-Jul-09 15:21:04

you would - pmsl grin

why? out of curoisty?

limonchik Fri 24-Jul-09 15:25:25

Why weekly? That's just how their last nanny was paid so they kept doing the same thing, and it was fine by me. Does mean I have mountains of pay slips though.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 24-Jul-09 15:26:34

thats what i was thinking - 52 of the bleeding things instead of 12 smile

would you want/prefer to go monthly?

limonchik Fri 24-Jul-09 15:53:37

I've got used to weekly now - think it would be hard to switch to monthly because of the way all my direct debits etc are set up. Plus I like knowing that however empty my bank account is I only have to wait a week for some more money!

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 24-Jul-09 15:57:57

if/when you change jobs, you may find you will have to be pad monthly ....

ThingOne Fri 24-Jul-09 18:53:29

I was, and am, very happy to pay weekly. Not everybody's in the position to be "grown up" and have monthly pay.

nannynick Fri 24-Jul-09 22:26:43

BACS is I feel the usual method these days. That is what is typically offered via the Internet Banking systems (though may be called by a different name). Many banks are now trying to make such transactions faster, so now often the money is transferred same day.
Cheques are a pain these days, I try to avoid writing cheques or taking cheques to the bank.

risingstar Fri 24-Jul-09 22:45:02

surely out of 52 weeks, at least 45 of them must be for the same amount. just set it up dd to be in her account for the friday.
no doubt you will remember to adjust it if it is likely to be too much one week.
if you do forget, you can always adjust the following week.
sounds like you are making work for yourself all round.
and, to be fair, if you have agreed that the money will be their every week it should be!

BoffinMum Sat 25-Jul-09 08:44:53

Monthly by standing order here. Cleaner is weekly by standing order, but she's self-employed.

frAKKINPannikin Sat 25-Jul-09 20:11:49

Monthly by internet transfer. MB tried to pay me using our vouchers equivalent once but they never cleared and I'm still chasing her for the 1500 she owes me for it! That was 8 months ago and as I'm leaving at the beginning of September I may want to mention that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now