Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Interviewing nannies for first time tomorrow

(10 Posts)
MrsOlf Wed 22-Jul-09 22:46:44

...is there anything I should keep in mind or anything to be wary of?

All comments and suggestions gratefully received!

jenhden Thu 23-Jul-09 05:08:06

i was a nanny and i think that of all the things that matter (health safety etc) that you need to pick either the person who seems most similar to you in ideals and instincts -so give a few scenarios for them to answer (in example i pick up children when they cry - even if its not a big "hurt" as i think that physical and emotional needs are the same thing but one mum i worked preferred a "be brave" approach so there was obviously going to be other issues we weren't compatible with each other on)

OR you need someone that fills in the gaps that you can't/ don't etc so that the kids get a rounded experience i.e if you are not a nursery rhyme singing, baking, painting type of mum then it takes the pressure off you for someone else to fill those needs and they still benefit.

I would say that if all else fails and no one is ideal then go for the baking painting type as occupied children are happier children when parents aren't about.

MrsOlf Thu 23-Jul-09 08:32:13

Thanks jenhden - that's really helpful. Wish me luck!

nannynick Thu 23-Jul-09 20:59:27

Sorry miss this thread yesterday evening.
How did the interview go?

MrsOlf Thu 23-Jul-09 22:02:16

I met 2 today and I've got another to meet tomorrow.

They were both good today but in completely different ways and my girls liked them both. (In fact DD1 wanted to have them both over to play which I thought was a really good sign. If the nanny tomorrow is good too I'm going to have a tough time deciding!

kaz33 Thu 23-Jul-09 22:08:49

Personally having employed three nannies:

Nanny 1 - DS1 (6 months) we were totally green and she was a proper trained nanny who knew everything which was great but I knew that she would annoy me as too controlling. And she did!

Nanny 2 - DS1 (2 and a half) DS2 (5 months) she was a lovely smiling happy Australian, who sometimes needed to be told what to do as not formally trained.

Nanny 3 - Another Australian, but didn't trust my instincts and DH persuaded me to employ her. Big mistake.

So always go for Nanny 2, I think one of the reasons my youngest has a happy disposition and is very easy going is because of his fab nanny when he was still a baby. They were always laughing and she was always playing with him.

MrsOlf Fri 24-Jul-09 08:13:31

Thanks for that kaz. I've got another interview this afternoon so hopefully I'll find the one then.

nannynick Fri 24-Jul-09 22:28:34

Hope this afternoons interview went well. Do you now have a preferred candidate?

MrsOlf Fri 24-Jul-09 22:35:40

I do and she's lovely. DD1 asked her when she could come to play again which is a really good sign. She's meeting DH on Monday and hopefully will start shortly after. Hurrah!

nannynick Fri 24-Jul-09 22:38:28

Sounds good. Make sure you quote salary as Gross in the contract. As a nanny I always like a contract before I actually start work, so if you haven't already got a draft created get that underway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now