Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is there a minimum amount of holidays that a Nanny can have?

(10 Posts)
Ripeberry Wed 22-Jul-09 20:51:42

Been speaking to a Nanny who helps out sometimes at our pre-school and she said that she is only allowed 3 weeks off a year and none can be taken around Xmas.
Does this sound right? Can employers dictate this?

nannynick Wed 22-Jul-09 20:59:27

Assuming they work 5 days per week, it is 5.6 weeks. BusinessLink: Calculate Annual Leave Entitlement. The employer could dictate when their employee is permitted to go on holiday.

DadInsteadofMum Thu 23-Jul-09 10:02:04

28 days if they don't get bank holidays or 20 days and all the bank holidays. Employers can dictate when, my AP contract (same employment rights) says half will be dictated and half by negotiation (which is usually an extended Christmas break.

Ripeberry Thu 23-Jul-09 10:11:55

The NCMA advise Childminders to take at least 4 weeks holiday a year. Seem to get a better deal.
At least it's not like in America where millions only get 2 weeks holiday a year!

DadInsteadofMum Thu 23-Jul-09 10:16:39

Childminders are self employed and so can dictate their own terms in contract of services, whereas nannies and AP's are employees bound by a contract of employment and relevant employment law.

OnceWasSquiffy Thu 23-Jul-09 11:31:40

If she only helps out sometimes at pre-school, then is her holiday not being pro-rated?

Oligo Thu 23-Jul-09 12:41:01

But what is average working week length in US Ripeberry? I don't know myself but know UK has one of longest in europe.

DadInsteadofMum Thu 23-Jul-09 13:54:42

And you have a much larger number of public holidays in the US - for example the best part of a week that most take for thanksgiving doesn't come out of the holiday allowance - whereas if you want a similar extended break over Christmas here it does come out of your holiday allowance.

Ripeberry Thu 23-Jul-09 17:09:50

Thanks, that's very interesting smile

annh Thu 23-Jul-09 19:28:53

Squiffy, I think the OP meant that the person in question is a full-time nanny who sometimes volunteers at the pre-school, rather than working there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now