Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Parents network for weekends - 7 year olds

(5 Posts)
Mellybelle Wed 22-Jul-09 09:23:17

Hi all,

I'm new to this and the reason why I joined is because I'd like to set up a parents network, where we take each others kids for the weekend to give us some time to ourselves / with partners etc.

I'm a single mum and have a 7-year old son. We live in Sunbury-on-Thames in Surrey.

My son is very friendly and outgoing. He gets on with boys and girls and even kids that are slightly older or younger than him. We live in a three bedroom house and I currently have an au pair who looks after him during the summer holidays.

Is there anyone else who might be interested that we look after each others children over the weekend on occasion? I would be quite happy to drive around 25 miles each way to get to you.

Many thanks

Mel

atworknotworking Wed 22-Jul-09 11:46:32

Their are regulations with regard to recipricol care, basically as far as I am aware you will need to register with ofsted, Nannynick is expert at this if he's around.

Mellybelle Wed 22-Jul-09 11:56:46

Thanks!

Just to clarify, I wouldn't let any strangers look after my child. First, we would need to get to know each other, see each others homes etc. Also, the kids would need to be happy to spend some time together.

I understand why these regulations are in place but the way I see it is another way of meeting a new circle of friends and trusting each other with the children.

Surely, I'm not the only one who hasn't got family living near me to help out?

Mel

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 22-Jul-09 18:15:00

tech if it was a playdate and not looking after , then surely ofsted dont need to be involved - assume there will be no money exchanging hands grin

nannynick Wed 22-Jul-09 18:38:27

Wouldn't have thought that Ofsted would be too bothered about an agreement between you and another family, so long as it is happening on 14 days or less a year. Even after that time period, it may be down to if it is considered to be 'reward'.
Perhaps this sort of thing already does exist. Perhaps it is something that a local Gingerbread group may be doing, in an informal manner, to help single parents - may be worth contacting your local group.

In terms of setting up a network, the more formal nature of that may mean that it starts to fall under controls such as ISA which starts in October 2009. You would need to seek professional advice about that, plus advice about what liability the 'network' would have if anything went wrong. The ISA has exemptions for Domestic work, but it will be an offence for a barred individual to take part in any regulated activity in domestic circumstances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now