Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Emergency Nanny question

(13 Posts)
McSara Wed 22-Jul-09 08:15:03

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help me out.
I have a 7 month old son, and am having major abdominal surgery on July 30th. My childcare for 2 weeks of my recovery has fallen through, and I'm considering hiring a nanny/childminder. They would be needed for the days, Monday to Friday.
Is this kind of thing done? If so, how much could I expect to pay? (I live in Gloucestershire.)
Many thanks for any help you can offer!

theoriginalmummypoppins Wed 22-Jul-09 08:18:12

Mcsara try Imperial nannies in Bath theyhave a load of temp nannies on their books. I expect you would probably pay about £500 a week netincluding their fee though.

There is a nanny who posts on here too that I know of as well who is in Cheltenham who may be free for a couple of weeks to help out.

I will email her for you.

Hope that helps

McSara Wed 22-Jul-09 08:39:35

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!

poshtottie Wed 22-Jul-09 08:57:45

I would post on gumtree and netmums aswell. I do this kind of work and a temp maybe self employed so you are not responsible for their tax and NI.

I'm in Dorset and I charge up to £10 per hour.

nannyL Wed 22-Jul-09 09:25:06

Yes that is completely normal..

agree stick and ad on gumtree or try a few local agencies. and im sure they will find you someone smile

expect to pay at least £10 an hour for an emergancy nanny..... though colleges / Uni has finished and you may well find a lovely student happy to help you out for less?

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 22-Jul-09 18:20:10

agree quite normal - i do this - though more on an ad hoc/odd day here and there as i work perm 3 days a week

look on netmums, gumtree and maybe ask a few nannys if you know any who are looking for work

there may be some whose employers are away and they want extra work then

Simplyme Wed 22-Jul-09 19:20:53

Where abouts in Gloucestershire are you? I can't help you I'm afraid but might know of a couple of people who could help. Try tinies agency as they have temp nannies on their books

ThingOne Wed 22-Jul-09 19:47:43

I've had emergency nannies through Imperial Staff in Bath (I've been ill a lot lately). The fees are very high for a short term placement. In Bath the min they advise for a qualified nanny is £8 an hour. I can't imagine it will be a great deal different in most of Glos.

I've also been in contact with Tinies but can't remember whether I have had anyone through them. The woman was very helpful though.

Are you really sure you only need two weeks childcare after major abdominal surgery? Have you asked the consultant or the nurses about this? I would have thought six weeks the minimum. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but you really need to heal properly before you start hoiking a large baby around.

pasturesnew Wed 22-Jul-09 19:53:14

I have had an emergency nanny from Tinies before via My Family Care emergencychildcare.co.uk/index/index.php but for a couple of weeks I would consider using one of the nurseries or childminders that are also registered on that website, if there is one near you?

danthe4th Wed 22-Jul-09 20:25:44

Thats the sort of care I offer, i'm a childminder in north gloucs. It fits in with my children and am happy to do it,I would charge about £60 per day. May be worth looking on emergency childcare.co.uk for minders in your area or try childcare.co.uk or childcarelink.gov.uk

sparkles18 Thu 23-Jul-09 19:00:53

Hi I am a Nanny with 23 years experience, CRB checked and have a First Aid certificate and Public Liability insurance. I am 41 years old and married with a 3 year old son and live in Evesham.
I am available for those 2 weeks and have extensive baby experience. Please email on shaz dot reynolds@btopenworld dot com and I can send you my CV and any other information you require. Many thanks.

McSara Wed 05-Aug-09 12:20:29

HI everyone,

Thanks so much for all of your responses. Sorry to have disappeared. I've had my op and am recovering well. I've ended up hiring a nanny that a friend of mine used. I will only need her for 7 days as I'm having the rest of the recovery time covered by Grandma & friends. The surgeon said 4 weeks til I can pick Matthew up again - and I'm almost 1 week in - hurrah!

Thanks again!

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 05-Aug-09 18:31:11

glad op went well,and that you are recovering well and have found a nanny smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now