Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Letting a room in family house in exchange for babysitting/cleaning/ironing duties

(11 Posts)
dizzydo Sat 21-May-05 13:31:38

Was looking at this option instead of an Aupair. Has anyone let out a room to a young foreign student but instead of taking money asked for help with chores/babysitting/cleaning. A neighbour of mine was telling me about someone she knows who did this but I am curious to know whether anyone else has tried this and if so how it works out.
Thanks

NannyL Sat 21-May-05 23:44:37

most 'aupairs' will do about 5 hours work a day (25 ho urs a week)AND get 'pocket money' (at least £50ish (often more) a week) as well as room food etc.

so you may find you need to PAY someone aswell as giving them a room etc

goldenoldie Sun 22-May-05 10:36:10

Hi Dizzy - I know someone who successfully did this. It was an overseas student, and chores/babysitting had to be scheduled around their college timetable, which was not always convienient for the family. They only got about 10 hours a week and a bit of evening babysitting in return for room and board.

In the end they felt it would have been cheaper for them to rent the room to a student and pay for a cleaner/babysitter to come in when needed.

dizzydo Mon 23-May-05 12:20:27

I think what you say prob makes sense goldenoldie. If I calculate what I might get to let out a room I could probably use that money to pay to get exactly the hours I want. Would have to pay tax on the rent tho.

I certainly dont want the inconvenience of a lodger and have to pay them as well! I wouldnt be looking at anywhere near 25 hours from them, realistically probably 4 hours for cleaning and perhaps six for babysitting in total. I think thats reasonably fair for free lodgings in London.

Any more thoughts anyone?

Ameriscot2005 Mon 23-May-05 12:30:52

You occasionally see ads on Gumtree for "work for rent".

It sounds like a good deal if you are not after more work, but I never thought about the tax aspect of renting out your room, as it's not something you worry about with an au pair.

Maybe a "demi pair" (10 - 15 hours a week and a little pocket money) would relieve any tax paying concience?

I'm sure that if you live near a university, you shouldn't have much trouble finding a lodger prepared to accept this arrangement - but you would have to make sure that the specific hours you wanted her to work were compatible with her studies and social life.

NannyL Mon 23-May-05 19:48:10

you can get quite a bit of rent before you have to pay tax on it (think the figure was around £50ish per week a few years back)

I know cause my frined came to live with me ehre at my dads house, and housing benefit paid fro her rent which because it was under the figure was tax free (even tho my dad was in the top tax band)

UKMickey Tue 31-May-05 12:03:00

Many years ago a friend of mine did this... & still jolly good friends today. My friend being the working lodger...Few hours work in return for free room & board. My friend is English & was f/t university student in London...duties included @ leaset 2 B/sits per week, clear kitchen every morning, let dog out in garden. Anything over & above as time passed extra monies paid...stayed 4yrs. In beginning went home in Hols but had chance to stay.... Good time was had by all & still do.

Gomez Tue 31-May-05 12:48:50

IR rent a room allowance allows in the region of £65.00 per week tax free for a lodger so to speak.

dizzydo Fri 03-Jun-05 18:32:26

Thanks everyone for your responses. Given me some food for thought

aloha Fri 03-Jun-05 18:43:55

You can let a room for 81pounds pw (354pounds per calendar month, 4250pounds per year) before you pay tax on it. Government figures.

ladymuck Fri 03-Jun-05 20:08:33

I've done this - room to a 20yo girl in exchange for babysitting etc. I wasn't out to make a profit as such, we have a (relatively) large home, and it is a customary relationship within our network of friends.

In general it worked well. We made the mistake of including food in the deal (for which she did pay!), but whilst very slim she still got through our weeks chocolate/sweet quote for the entire household in about 5 minutes! The only other issue for us was that she had to start her day quite early (she worked at a playgroup, mornings only), and as ds1 was a light sleeper, she regularly work him at 6:30!

Never thought about an oversea person - not sure whether you can get around the au pair expectations. The above arrnagements worked fine financially as she was getting some (but not much) money from her part/time job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now