Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

holiday clubs

(15 Posts)
dmo Tue 21-Jul-09 20:35:03

is there a rule about that if you set up a group it should make a profit and not put others out of business?

2 holiday clubs have set up about 10 mins walk eirther way from me they charge £12 per day 7.30am till 6pm shock

i have done the maths and they wont make a penny they said (cause i rang up to ask) that it is a non profit organisation.

i charge £20 for the day and we go out everyday but i just cant match that.

HSMM Tue 21-Jul-09 20:43:50

You just have to hope you are offering that little bit extra that parents want. You could try speaking to your local authority about it. Unfortunately money is tight for many people at the moment and they will go for the cheapest option. I am a CM and I hardly ever get new holiday business, because the holiday clubs are so cheap (but I am better grin).

southeastastra Tue 21-Jul-09 20:44:49

what sort of companies are they?

dmo Tue 21-Jul-09 20:46:05

dont know i rang surestart and they are going to pop over to see

amidaiwish Tue 21-Jul-09 20:46:15

as a cm you are offering something quite different to holiday clubs. far better for little ones. don't try and cut your costs to compete. your ratios, food, care etc. justify the cost.

nannynick Tue 21-Jul-09 21:30:53

I doubt there is much that can be done. If the holiday clubs have some kind of informal agreement between themselves to charge the same amount, then maybe have a word with Trading Standards to see if they can offer any advice. Not sure it's really their area, but they may know if such an agreement would breach Chapter 1, Competition Act 1998. If it does breach that, OFT may be interested... though fine level may be quite low.
Found a case that may be worth a read, it is with regard to a number of independent schools doing a Survey as to what they would be charging in the future. OFT: Decision - Exchange of information on future fees.

Probably best to concentrate on the positives that children would get from being in your care - higher adult:child ratio thus more personal attention, quality of care.

amidaiwish Wed 22-Jul-09 08:26:52

as a mum i look at cm and holiday clubs as very different things.
holiday clubs = lots of activities, but little actual care/kids fend for themselves. Fine for older ones or very self sufficient ones. OK for a few days but not weeks on end.

CM = home based care with activities to keep entertained.

dmo Wed 22-Jul-09 08:35:23

thanks Amidaiwish
it prob it more the older ones i mean as 90% of my under 5's are term time only so normally have my before and after school children in the holidays but times are hard and i know where the parents are coming from

PaulaAtMummyKnowsBest Wed 22-Jul-09 10:58:49

i have left my 10 year old in a club for a few days here and there but wouldn't consider tham for my 5 yr old.

You are offering a home from home particularly for the little ones and you don't need to drop your price to compete as the service you offer is different.

dmo Wed 22-Jul-09 15:49:52

dont mean to be evil but..............................

had a parent phone me today while we were on our teddys bear picnic and the holiday club rang her this morning at 6.30am and said they wouldnt be opening for the rest of the summer due to lack of children shock so could i have the child.

the same club did this at easter (they were charging the same as me then) and the child they had came to me that week

cant believe they would give so little notice to parents

nannynick Wed 22-Jul-09 19:20:05

They charge £12 a day, yet they now won't be open due to lack of children? Maybe parents thought they were just too cheap to be true.

amidaiwish Wed 22-Jul-09 19:22:14

exactly. £12 a day wouldn't exactly fill you with confidence. parents aren't just looking for cheap. value for money yes, but cheap, no.

dmo Wed 22-Jul-09 20:51:15

well parent who phoned today phoned back and said she has found a club for her dd for £50 per week so she is going there

i am not to sure as its a sports club and her dd is only 4, prob get a phone call agaqin in a couple of weeks

danthe4th Wed 22-Jul-09 21:02:59

Most of the holiday clubs can't take under 5's this year because of the eyfs and it's too much hassle for them. My 7 year old goes to the local leisure centre a few times over the holidays to do a huge range of different activities,mostly sporting and i'm paying £16 per day and there is no way I would charge so little but i'm happy and so is he.

RachieB Thu 23-Jul-09 00:28:13

£12 a day !!
wow that's so cheap

I pay £20 a day for my son to go to holiday club (8.30am - 5.30pm ) or CMer ( 8am - 6pm)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now