Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Aupair Tax.

(7 Posts)
TimeFlys Tue 21-Jul-09 11:25:30

I just finished my post as an aupair.
Im looking for a job and im entiltled to benifits. The jobcentre people are asking me if I paid tax or NI?? I only earned 80pounds perweek?
Can someone help?

OnceWasSquiffy Tue 21-Jul-09 11:29:28

Jobcentre people are muppets - your earnings were below the NI/Tax threshold.

Julesnobrain Tue 21-Jul-09 11:30:58

80 pounds a week is below the tax and NI threshold that's why you didn't pay it. You can tell them what you got paid.

LIZS Tue 21-Jul-09 11:32:10

Think you'd be under the threshold for ni contributions and to pay tax unless you have other income. Presumably this is for the income-related element of JSA

DadInsteadofMum Tue 21-Jul-09 13:52:54

For National Insurance you have the Lower Earnings Limit (currently £95/week) and the Earnings Threshold (£110/week).

If you are above the Earnings Threshold you have to pay NI (and probably tax).

If you are below the Earnings Threshold but above the Lower Earnings Limit then your employer should register as an employer with HMRC as you are deemed to have paid NI for the purposes of accruing earnings related benefits even though you will pay no NI over.

As you were below the Lower Earnings Limit you will have paid neither tax or NI but you will not be entitled to any earnings related element of JSA.

[this is also why the maximum I pay my au pair during the school holiday is £95/week]

PixiNanny Tue 21-Jul-09 21:25:12

I am currently in an ap job and having the trouble that tax office are on my back but each time I call they decide that I'm in a different category or something gr

DadInsteadofMum Wed 22-Jul-09 11:50:48

Never ever call the tax office unless you are calling the same individual every time. Write to a named individual, it is the only way to guarantee consistancy of service. It seems mad in this day of instant communications but experience has shown that this is necessary as you will have a record whereas they seem inable to properly record all telephone conversation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now