Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Child Minder - Holiday - SF?

(17 Posts)
Julezboo Sun 19-Jul-09 21:34:56

Hi all,

Just after a bit of advice on how to handle situation. I was diagnosed with SF today. My boys have been at their GP's house since Friday, my symptoms started yesterday. DH spoke to CM and as they are going on holiday on Friday it was decided that boys will stay at nans.

They are fine, as I am going to lose at least £300 this week because I am off ill, how would you broach this with CM. I am pretty sure it's more a case of she is worried about her and her family being ill on holiday. Which I totally understand.

I don't know whether paying half of the fees for this week would be a good compromise? Or do I shut up and pay the full amount? we are really struggling at the moment (as are a lot of people i understand!)

WWYD?

overweightnoverdrawn Sun 19-Jul-09 21:55:47

Sorry you have swine flu . If you dont pay her she will be struggling .So if you send your kids to her and they have it and they infect the other kids alot of familys are going to catch it . hope you sort it out and get better soon .

onepieceoflollipop Sun 19-Jul-09 21:59:21

You need to check your contract and abide with the terms wrt illness. Sorry to hear that you are unwell and this is going to be difficult financially.

Julezboo Sun 19-Jul-09 22:05:16

thats just it though my boys are not ill, neither are her family, it's me and I have been away from them all, normally she would take them but because she is due to go on a two week holiday on friday she is worried.

dot91 Sun 19-Jul-09 22:47:22

I have been a childminder for 17 years and I would say that if your cm asked you to keep the children away even although they are not ill then depending on your contract she is not due paid. ( my contracts state that I don't charge for my holidays or if I am not working ). If you made the decision to keep the children off then she is due full money. Hope this helps and you feel better soon.

CarGirl Sun 19-Jul-09 22:49:37

sounds like you need to clarify the decision with her. ie are you asking me to keep my boys away all week?

You could be very gracious and still give her a small payment as a token gesture.

Scarfmaker Sun 19-Jul-09 23:49:38

Really sorry to say but as a childminder I would expect full payment.

I had to phone two of my parents a couple of weeks ago as my daughter (10 years old) had suspected swine flu). Suffice to say but I lost a day's payment from two parents.

Katymac Mon 20-Jul-09 00:01:29

Scarfmaker - really - I would have thought if the childminder was saying "stay away" that she forfeits her pay

If the parent is saying "i'm keeping them off" then she gets paid

I think, maybe, I'm not sure

MrsPickles Mon 20-Jul-09 00:19:50

I think it would be unreasonable for you not to pay your CM when she does not want to take your children when they may infect the others. But I do note you think your children may not be infectious because they've not seen you since Friday - I think its probably unlikely that they are completely safe, but because they've not been in contact with you since then, maybe you can agree something about half wages. I would pay something because my contract says I shouldn't take my child if she has an infectious disease - I know that your DC are not definitely infectious - but its SO contagious and worrying that I think this is a bit different to other things mentioned in the contract and its right for your CM who looks after other children not to take risk of infecting other children in her care and still get paid.

TheFallenMadonna Mon 20-Jul-09 00:30:26

If she says they can't go, and they aren't ill themselves, then I'm not at all sure you should have to pay.

vInTaGeVioLeT Mon 20-Jul-09 01:42:31

in my opinion you should pay her as normal, your children are being cared for by their grandmother i presume you are not paying her therefore you had already allocated this money to pay c/m, i'm sorry you are struggling financially but if you dont pay c/m then she will struggle and probably feel very upset.

i wouldn't accept a mindee who had a household member with swine flu.

if in doubt,check your contract and talk to your childminder.

atworknotworking Mon 20-Jul-09 18:51:39

If you decide to keep your children off then I would expect full fee to be paid.

If your CM has asked that you keep them off then I wouldn't pay.

How about a compromise and pay 1/2 fee? as it appears that you want your dc's to stay at grans so they arn't infected by you (which by the way is very responsible of you) and it appears that your cm is worried about possible infection, so give her a call and see if you can sort something out that you are both happy with.

If she is saying dont bring them as worried about possible infection then DONT pay as there is no more risk to her family from your children going there than there is from them catching it in the supermarket

HSMM Mon 20-Jul-09 20:41:50

I asked a child to stay away when her mother was ill, because my DD had an operation in a couple of days. I did not charge.

childminderdee Mon 20-Jul-09 22:22:05

I have sent 2 mindees home today with flu like symptoms. Chances are it may not be SF, however I have a responsibility to protect other children and my own family. My daughter is due an operation next week, so even more reason for me to not want her in contact with anyone who is unwell, let alone SF.

Even if you children seem ok, and havn't been in contact with you I would still be concerned if I were your cm.

I feel it would be unfair to not pay your CM if your contract states you still pay her if your children are off sick (even though in this instance they may not be sick!).

Theres another way to look at this - if you send your children & the CM or her children catch SW and have to cancel holiday would you be prepared then to cover the cost of her holiday?

1dilemma Tue 21-Jul-09 00:18:37

I think it depends on what was said between your dh and her.

Your post doesn't make it clear whether it was her saying we're going away I don't want to catch it.... (ie you don't pay) or your dh saying oh well they might as well stay at GP (in which case she may well think she is going to be paid)

I think you need to phone and clarify, but if she says she wants paying will you then take them in?

TheIronLady Thu 23-Jul-09 09:14:13

This is such a difficult one.

I have asked for mindee not to come in today because mindee's 2 close relatives (not living in same household but who I know has mixed with in the last 5 days) has sf, mindee only attends 1 day a week. I have no other mindees today but am concerned that if mindee did come today he may be carrying sf as incubation period is up to 7 days, therefore, I may contract it then pass on to all my mindees next week and my family. If I get it, I have to close for 48 hours or until I am well again, this would be a catastrophe for me financially. As I have asked for mindee to stay away, I will not charge.

The decision I made is difficult because the advice and guidelines that I have sent to parents is the same as what I have received from my local Council and that is, for relatives of those infected do not need to stay in isolation but to go about their business as usual.

I can understand your childminder's concerns as she is going on holiday. If she were to develop symptoms while away, depending on what country she will be visiting, she and her family could end up being kept there in isolation but having said that, I know that sf can be picked up anywhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now