Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Ofsted Extension

(10 Posts)
shoppingmad Sat 18-Jul-09 14:39:38

Hello
I am about to go back to work and have found an excellent CM. She has to apply for an extension to have my 3 kids because of the ratio of the ages. (4,3 and 11 months plus her kids 3 and 8 yrs)
Does anyone know how long this takes? its been 2 months so far and no info despite her phoning.
Is it likely that she will get the extension

looneytune Sat 18-Jul-09 14:47:33

That's a long wait, I'd have phoned many, many times to chase that and would expect to have heard by now. Normally they say no when it's for new business but if it's because you have so many children then they may allow it as you'd have problems with any childminder really.

Good luck

shoppingmad Sat 18-Jul-09 14:50:21

Thanks, I am just worried as its only 5 weeks until I go back to work and I haven't done any settling in time yet.
My daughter turns 5 in November so actually the extension is for 3 months and then its fine. She is such a good childminder I just hope they agree it.

looneytune Sat 18-Jul-09 14:51:19

Is your child that's nearly 5 in full time school yet?

shoppingmad Sat 18-Jul-09 14:55:12

No she starts full time in September and my son will be going 5 mornings to pre school so she will have my 11 month old all day and my son from 12. Her kids are in school until 3.10pm so she will have the 5 of them from 3.30pm

When i write it down its bloody complicated. I totally underestimated how hard working and childcare is. I would give my job up if I didn't have to re-train if I let my registration slip.

looneytune Sat 18-Jul-09 16:29:40

Sorry, went to the park! If your nearly 5 year old is the one taking her over her numbers, I would have thought Ofsted would say yes to that as it's for SUCH a short time!!! Once they are in full time education, they are classed as an over 5, even if they are still 4. How many actual days childcare would it be from you starting work and your child starting full time school?

Also, do you know how many times your childminder has chased them? I'd get her to email them over the weekend, chasing it all, and ask for an urgent response. I ALWAYS chase, chase, chase Ofsted and tell them the parents are nagging me for a responses wink. Just so we all know where we stand asap. Having said that, your childminder may be worried about chasing too much in case they say no - I just have a lot more confidence these days.

danthe4th Sat 18-Jul-09 17:14:27

They usually ring to speak to the cm within a week to make sure you have all the equipment needed for a variation,car seats,high chairs etc.. Your cm may have told them that she doesn't need the variation till september in which case they will not prioritise it.Perhaps write again and mention it needs to be in place sooner as your plans have changed.

SillyMillysMummy Sat 18-Jul-09 19:14:00

I would imagine its because it is not prioritised as it isnt needed until september. I submitted mine a week ago and only because i rang every day stating it was urgent as it involved a teacher parent (although it doesnt apply until september)i heard back on Friday. I would have thought she wont get an answer until much nearer the time, as they will not see it as a priority as its a september start. On the plus side, i would imagine it has been looked at initially, in my experience, if they think it wouldnt be passed, i.e completely not acceptable, they have wrote straight back.

hth

RosieGirl Sun 19-Jul-09 19:55:29

I applied for a variation on my certificate of registration 3 weeks ago, for 4 under 5 (siblings - so under continuity of care), they called me to discuss it within one week to check they understood what I was asking and I received my certificate within 3 working days, which is now in its frame on the wall. Its one thing about OFSTED I can't complain about, they have always been on the ball with my variations.

lucy65 Thu 30-Jul-09 00:03:04

I rang for info they said I could email the request which I did. 3 days later a letter came saying I hadnt sent a scanned signature so I did that on the fri. By Tues they had rang to say fine (also continuity of care) and she said would be in post and was few days later.

The man on phone said write `emergency variation request` on application and I made sure I enclosed all dates of birth, days, times, details of the contact we had kept, enough car seats/highchairs/cots etc

Fine, hunky dory.......till I started doing it - 4 kids under the age of 3 clashing on 3 days. Jeez people moan bout having 2 kids under 5 at home! Unfortunately stopped within the trial period as was too stretched to be 100% efficient.

I would be straight on that phone. Gd luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now