Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

how much do you pay for overnights or weekends away?

(13 Posts)
specialk1215 Thu 16-Jul-09 22:16:20

Hi all,

What is a fair price if my hubby and I want to go away for a weekend and our nanny agrees to look after the kids? What about a weekday overnight?

Thanks so much for your help!

frAKKINPannikin Thu 16-Jul-09 22:20:26

Weekday I charge: hourly babysitting rate until midnight, sleepover fee (£30) until 7am, then hourly rate.

Weekend I personally have a 24 hour fee I charge, your nanny may have the same so ask her. Otherwise daily rate for usual hours, plus babysitting until midnight, plus overnight rate, plus daily rate. Or negotiate a nice round number.

specialk1215 Thu 16-Jul-09 23:07:30

Thank you so much. Just out of curiousity, do you have any idea what a fair 24 hour fee in London would be? Does £150 sound about right?

sunnyshine Thu 16-Jul-09 23:09:26

i charge £5 ph at all times at wekends. so from 10 am sat to 6pm sunday would be £160.00 (32 hours at £5ph)

Nicadooby Fri 17-Jul-09 07:09:42

Hi there,

I'm a nanny and I charge full hourly rate from 7am until 7pm then £30 for the overnight bit but I look after my charge at my house as i hate staying over at work, plus it's more exciting for my charge as she gets to have a sleep over at mine.

To be honest I only started at this rate as my boss kept asking me to babysit after work and as it was sometimes (quite often) past midnight and i had to be back in for work at 7.30am so i suggested paying me for 4 hours babysitting for the whole night but she slept at my house, she was very happy to do this.

If were to do it for a new family I would probally up my rates a bit though.

PaulaAtMummyKnowsBest Fri 17-Jul-09 09:43:55

Nicadooby - surely you won't be insured if anything went wrong though?

If I am doing nights for older children, I charge £10per hour (my babysitting rate) 7pm - 10pm and then an overnight fee of £40 and then my normal daily hour rate £15 per hour) from 6am.

If it is "just" babies, it is from £15 per hour

nannynz Fri 17-Jul-09 09:58:57

Why don't you ask your nanny and see what she comes back with? Most nanny's have similar formulas that they use. Also it's a good idea to have in contract rates for ovetime, proxy parenting etc.

I would probably charge £150/24 hours for and under one and over ones £10/hr for awake times and £6/hour for times they're asleep, only really works for children who are good sleepers though.

nannynz Fri 17-Jul-09 10:00:21

Oh and probably would charge different for a weekday/end night but if at weekend I would ask for a day off in lieu.

specialk1215 Fri 17-Jul-09 12:25:42

Thank you all - very helpful.
Much appreciated!

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 17-Jul-09 12:42:20

makes no difference whether weekeday or weekend for me

i charge the same - £10ph bs/work rate till midnight so if an overnight 7pm-7am bs rate £50 (7-12) and £30 sleepover so £80 a night

proxy parenting which i do a lot of same applies so works out £200p 24hrs - im exspensive but worth it grin and get lots of work so I cant be charging too much

Nicadooby Fri 17-Jul-09 20:13:03

Yes Paula you are right but tbh as I have worked for the same family for the past 6 years (and the previous one for 4 years) so I have only just heard about needing insurance shock

But as i'm a good girl I do now have it now, and as I have started a new job I won't be doing anymore overnight care either so prolem solved.

Nicadooby Fri 17-Jul-09 20:14:14

Sorry i ment problem not prolem

I am in east midlands and overnight from 7pm-7am mon-thurs I charge £80 and fri-sun I charge £100. 24hr care I charge £180 per 24hrs if a baby under 6mths who still wakes for night feeds I charge hrly rate of £12 an hr as if I was night nannying.

£125-£200 is a guide for 24hr proxy parenting depending on location, nanny's experience and qualifications and what the nanny is happy to work for and the parents are happy to pay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now