Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Any aupairs in Cambridge?

(10 Posts)
Giraffeymummy Thu 16-Jul-09 15:38:36

My aupair of 2.5 weeks is ready to go home as she has not been able to find any other aupairs to hang out with. Kinda think that she's got her mind set on going but if there is anyone out there with an aupair she can meet up with it may help and make her remaining time more enjoyable - she is French.

Also the wonderful agency I got her through (not) informed me that if I want them to get me another aupair to fill the time she was due to be here I will have to pay the fee again! So if there is anyone who knows of someone looking to be live in aupair till end August with a lovely family with 4 children I'm very open to interviewing!!

Millarkie Thu 16-Jul-09 18:55:56

We live outside Cambridge but our au pair (German) often takes a trip into town. She's only been with us for 3 weeks but has made quite a few friends (after spending most of her first weekend crying with loneliness).
I'll ask her if I can pass on her email/mobile number for you to give your au pair.

Millarkie Thu 16-Jul-09 19:23:07

Have spoken to my au pair and she is happy for me to pass her details on if you CAT me. She says there are a gang of APs in our area who go clubbing in Cambridge every wednesday (our ap is not a 'clubber' more of a 'coffee and a chatter' so tends to give it a miss). They also do cinema trips in Cambridge.

ChasingSquirrels Thu 16-Jul-09 19:33:08

hijack - sorry - Millarkie, how "outside" Cambridge are you?
I am in one of the north east villages (near to Burwell) and am considering an AP.
And any idea how easy would it be to get one if I don't offer a car?

Millarkie Thu 16-Jul-09 19:57:45

I'm south of C, about 20 mins from Addenbrooks - but we do offer a car, and we have a train station in the village with trains to London etc. I would guess you could recruit one without a car but not sure if they would stay unless you were prepared to be a taxi service for their nights out (And it's in both your benefits for the AP to go out for the evening occasionally).

ChasingSquirrels Thu 16-Jul-09 20:09:45

thanks. umm south side better served in that way, would only be bus into Camb here, or Newmarket! no idea how late it runs.
Will have to look into it more.

mandabynes Thu 16-Jul-09 20:19:46

GIRAFFEYMUMMY

I am available to be an au pair. I am currently renting a room in Cambridge but am seeking an au pair family. Please do get in touch.

manda.bynes.90@gmail.com

Giraffeymummy Fri 17-Jul-09 09:16:19

We don't offer a car but as we live in Cambourne on the Citi 4 busroute there are regular buses into town - and a week 'use as much as you like ticket' is only £11 and is worth buying if you make more than 3 trips into town in a week.
Also bit more advertising wink - We offer £80 termtime and £100 in school hols.

DadInsteadofMum Fri 17-Jul-09 09:31:27

There are dozens of au pairs in Cambridge and most of them seem to be French (much to annoyance of previous Dutch AP). I think your AP hasn't looked very hard, previous AP through a stick into facebook and hit dozens.

Claire2301 Fri 17-Jul-09 09:31:57

Hey

I've been an Au pair/Nanny in France (15 months in Angers) and Ireland so if she fancied meeting up with somoene who speaks french then just let me know. We live in Teversham so only 5 or so miles from you. I'm 22? Go to the cinema quite often with friends and also know quite a few french families around Cambridge. I run a Guiding Unit near to you so if she wanted to help at all she would be more than welcome.

I know how hard it is making friends in a new area- I struggled on for a couple of months in France and then settled in with a nice group.

Please just drop me an email if I can help.

Thanks
Claire

clairemichelle23 at hotmail .co .uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now