Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Primary school start for working mums

(15 Posts)
Hildabeast Thu 16-Jul-09 14:35:33

What on earth do other mums do? I know the school my DD will go to has a part-time initial term. I hate to see her go to a new childminder and be met by a near stranger but am at a loss to know the options. I cannot take time off work.
The school has no breakfast or after school club. She is in nursey 4 days a week at the moment and did not want to confuse her with change in her last year. Maybe it would be a good idea to send her one day to a childminder who can carry her through to school pick-up when she starts school? I need help and advice please!

HuwEdwards Thu 16-Jul-09 14:40:57

Well I am amazed frankly that the school has no breakfast or ASC. Our nursery walked ours to school and back to nursery while they were part-time. Childminders to do a pre and after-school service - ask your local council for a list.

You will manage!

RemusLupinInAWizardsuit Thu 16-Jul-09 14:52:38

We will be keeping the nursery place open until full days begin I think.

And is there a DP who has some responsibility to help out here too?

Hildabeast Thu 16-Jul-09 14:53:26

Thanks Huw, yes I'm doing that but her current Nursery is close to work and nowhere near her school!
Just a little concerned about continuity of care, i.e nursery, childminder and me!
The list from the council only has one childminder who does my school pick-up, but I have contacted the school to see what they recommend.
I know I must seem like over-anxious mum, but if there are to be changes I don't want to land them on her all at once.
Thanks for the advice.

Booh Thu 16-Jul-09 16:02:40

Check out the childminder!

I am the only childminder that picks up and collects from my daughters school. Its a tiny village school

The school should be able to advise on you on what extended services are available all schools should now be providing an extended schools service so something should be available from 8am-6pm some schools have done this together where the larger one in an area will have a breakfast/after school care and the children from all the local primary's will use that one and then a bus/ or adults will walk them on to their own school at the relevant time and then collect at end of day.

sitdownpleasegeorge Thu 16-Jul-09 19:38:14

The availability of after school childcare formed part of our decision making process when it came to choosing a primary school for our pfb. Please don't take that as a smug statement, we were regarded as weird workaholics for doing so.

I realise this advice is possibly too late for you now but if your dd has another year at nursery don't you still have time to change your choice of school to one with better access to breakfast club/after school wrap around care ?

I'm sure we were told that it was becoming compulsory for schools to facilitate access to some sort of childcare. Is this not the case yet ?

LaurenD Thu 16-Jul-09 20:31:54

Ask to speak with the person in the school who has responsibility for 'extended schools' - it is not compulsory for schools to offer wrap-around care but they are expected to be working towards meeting the needs of the community they serve. If they don't have breakfast clubs or ASC's I would ecxpect them to hold a list of CM's and possibly alternatives as it is expected that they can 'signpost' parents/carers towards altenatives if possible (I am an ex-teacher and Extended schools co-ordinator!)
Good luck with the search
x

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 16-Jul-09 20:33:21

Our school has no breakfast or after school club and tbh it wouldn't cross my mind that it should.

bigchris Thu 16-Jul-09 20:35:02

btw you and your dh and your family you have to take time off work!!

Julesnobrain Thu 16-Jul-09 23:40:35

I work full time. with DS, I made the change all at once, new school plus new ASC. It was a mistake and I have learnt. DD going to move from private nursery to school nursery and ASC in stages. My advice if school has no ASC find one that does. if that's not possible then find childminder now and move child now to CM, then when she starts school you take first couple of days off to settle in but she will already be established with CM

Hildabeast Fri 17-Jul-09 20:38:57

Thanks to everyone. So glad I dipped toe in the water now as I still have time.
I wanted to use the playgroup attached to the school, but of course it is mornings only so I cannot pick up.
I know bigchris I will have to find alternatives, but have no family able to help.

Just wanted to get advice and there seems to be plenty here so thanks all.

dreamteamgirl Sat 18-Jul-09 00:46:08

Hi Hildabeast
Bit of a landmine isnt it? I have employed an au pair, and am working weird split days for the first 3 weeks of September.
XP of course was going to do his bit but now 'cant make those dates' ... I think he actually thinks I should ask the school to change thinsg to suit him!! LMAO

I know one person whose child is going to be aprt time till after CHRISTMAS shock. No idea what I would do if this was the case, apart from probably get sacked

saramoon Sat 18-Jul-09 10:54:26

We had a 'sharing session' at the school a couple of weeks ago when all the mums with children going into reception met to chat and ask questions. I asked the group if anyone knew a childminder and two people put their hands up and now i have someone who will take dd to school 2 days a week and pick her up 4 days a week. The school does have an afterschool club but there is a 9-12 month waiting list! It is certainly difficult - and the 5 weeks of mornings and afternoons, well, i have all sorts of people helping me out.

bigchris Sat 18-Jul-09 17:26:31

sorry if i sounded a bit abrupt

we found it a nightmare

we couldnt have a summer holiday that yr because me and dh couldnt have leave at the same time

worse we had to have mil stay for a week to help

so i sympatise

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now