Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

New employers dragging heels over nanny contract

(15 Posts)
redmorninglight Wed 15-Jul-09 08:26:27

My prospective employers are really dragging their heels over my contract and I'm getting a bit worried about this.

I accepted the job about a month ago. No contract appeared so I arrnged a meeting with them last week to go over it and when I got there they "hadn't got round to printing it out" so we had a cup of tea, I did a few puzzles with the children and had a chat. I asked if they would email it to me so I could go through it before I start in a couple of weeks.

It still hasn't arrived.... I don't really want to ring and nag AGAIN but I am starting to feel really ucomfortable. Especially since a large part of the chat we had centred around how they were trying to work out the salary with an acountant to avoid paying as much tax as possible. I didn't think there were loopholes around tax any more? As far as I knew when I accepted the job, they were going to use a payroll company and it was all going to be official.

hmm

chandellina Wed 15-Jul-09 08:40:27

when are you meant to start? Maybe you could email saying it's a "gentle reminder" and that you want to make sure their plans haven't changed?

chandellina Wed 15-Jul-09 08:41:12

oh sorry, see you say a couple of weeks before you start.

i'm sure someone will be along with some good advice!

LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Wed 15-Jul-09 08:59:52

I love how bosses do this. They would never ever start a job without a signed contract yet it is perfectly acceptable to them for the nanny to do so.
I would just send them another gentle reminder and if that fails then tell them that you are unable to work without one. It may backfire but are you willing to take that risk? I am not much help either. I seem to lose all backbone when I am nannying. Put me back into an office where I regrow my 'balls'.

HarrietTheSpy Wed 15-Jul-09 12:23:19

I think you need to address this with them directly, and urgently. Diplomatic, sure, but no "gentle reminders."

They may have figured out they can't afford to/don't want to pay you the rate you've agreed with them when it's all grossed up properly. Having spoken to their accountant or whomever. And they could be trying to figure out what they're going to do about it.

So, best to know as soon as in case you hvae to make other arrangements.

Sorry to sound like a doomsayer, but I really don't think you should put this off.

AtheneNoctua Wed 15-Jul-09 12:49:18

I not only wouldn't take a job without a signed contract but I wouldn't resign from an existing one until I had a contract signed for the next one. No way. What if they change their monds and don't pay you at all. Or just give you cash.

And if they behave like this now what will it be like when you are their employee and have some important issues to discuss. Get everything in writing and signed by both of you. And (politely) let them know ASAP this is an absolute requirement for you to start the job. Do you have a written offer?

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 15-Jul-09 12:55:07

agree you need to beblunt firmer and simply state that if they have not sent you a contract to look over/sign by end of week that you wont be working for them

yes it may mean you wont have a job, but do you really want to work for people who cant be arsed

ditto athene, though in the op case maybe she isnt leaving a job to go to one

fridayschild Wed 15-Jul-09 12:57:26

Did they find you using an agency? Maybe you could get the agency to pester them, if you feel uncomfortable doing it yourself. The agency won't get paid if you don't start, and you won't start if the payment terms aren't what you were expecting.

redmorninglight Wed 15-Jul-09 16:14:15

Blondes & Athene - I have resigned although I haven't been working! (I think at least one of you knows who I am?!)

No written offer, but job IS through an agency. No email address for them, so it's communication by telephone.

One more phone reminder, then I'm going to pass it over to the agency.

AtheneNoctua Wed 15-Jul-09 16:51:05

Oh oh oh... it's not me. Blondes must know who you are.

lobsters Wed 15-Jul-09 16:52:19

I'd just pass it to the agency now. You've been waiting a long time. I felt guilty waiting a week from giving a telephone offer to sending out contract, because we hadn't be organised enough to draw it up beforehand. Have to be honest a month does suggest there is some kind of issue

oldgreybird Wed 15-Jul-09 17:15:19

I absolutely agree with the other messages you have had about being firm and insisting on the contract before starting the job. I run simplychildcare.com and over the years I have heard so many stories from nannies about parents and it is quite clear to me that if a nanny does not stand up for herself and her rights, many parents will just ignore things and treat her thoughtlessly, selfishly and completely ignore their legal, social and moral responsibilites as an employer. So don't do it - do not start the job until you have everything in writing and the contract has been agreed and signed by the parents and by you. If you stand up for yourself now, you will start the job with the parents realising that they cannot mess you about. Mutual respect is necessary for any working relationship to thrive.

AxisofEvil Wed 15-Jul-09 17:15:22

Go straight to the agency. They won't want their commission jeapordised by this falling over.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 15-Jul-09 17:39:40

waves i have an idea, but too polite to name names on here grin

if you went through an agency then i would ask them if the family have paid their fees, and get the agency to give them a boot au the arse!!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 15-Jul-09 17:43:42

I would call the agency asap and tell them the situation and also ask them to pass your details to other prospective employers. That should get the message across.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now