Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Ofsted Visit - just normal 3 yearly one! Help me!!!

(20 Posts)
sunnyshine Tue 14-Jul-09 20:29:08

right who has has an inspection recently! what are they loving and hating at the moment!! thanks!

crace Tue 14-Jul-09 21:36:15

I can't help but Bump

sunnyshine Tue 14-Jul-09 21:39:26

thanks, i think i have most things ready but i just want top tips!!! thankyou!

BradfordMum Wed 15-Jul-09 07:35:53

All policies in place and signed.
Contracts all in date.
Short, medium and long term planning in writing.
First aid box correctly stocked.
Fire drill up to date, and all children have taken part in it, dated.
Fresh water available at all time.
Hats/sunscreen in place if hot day!
Sef completed.

Open the door with a smile - check their ID - get them to sign visitors book - relax and enjoy!

sunnyshine Wed 15-Jul-09 07:37:46

thanks, think have nearly all that!!! anymore top tips!!

ayla99 Wed 15-Jul-09 10:41:50

These are the things my inspector liked or suggested:
- sign & date policies, can include a date for review
- premises risk assessment
- risk assessment for each type of outing
- regular fire drills (she suggested twice a term)
- healthy eating policy - multi-lingual labels and pictures on toy boxes
- support for english as an additional language
- parents should provide more written input regarding their child's learning and development
- sharing photos of activities with parents & children as well

I don't have a visitors book, while some inspectors like them mine didn't mention my lack of one. I don't have one because some parents don't want a record of their visits on view to other visitors. (complicated family sitations) Also, as I work alone I know exactly who is in the property. I think they are more appropriate for preschools/nurseries who may need to check who was in the building at the time of fire/emergency.

PHOTOS * PHOTOS * PHOTOS A picture speaks a 1000 words - any photos you have of the activities you provide will be helpful (I made a folder putting each photo under the most relevant Area of Learning)

hellywobs Wed 15-Jul-09 10:53:03

My CM got marked down because she didn't have a register signed by parents and they said she wouldn't have a list if there were a fire. She had her rota elsewhere and I would be worried if I thought she didn't know which kids she had if there were a fire, but that's Ofsted's tick-box mentality for you. And now we have to sign a register. [expletive] stupid.

badgerhead Wed 15-Jul-09 10:59:46

I had my inspection last week & hot items were: Risk Assessments dated to show regular reviews, learning journals/next steps planning, hygiene e.g. handwashing, using tissues etc. register showing exact times of arriving & leaving not rounded up to the nearest 5 minutes,ease of access to toys & equipment including outdoor space, very keen on free flow of mindees to garden, healthy eating.
BTW I got a Good.

sunnyshine Wed 15-Jul-09 23:15:03

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THIS! CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT RISK ASSESMENTS YOU HAVE PLEASE!! I have outing, home, car, walking, park. Can you think of any others. Badgerhead well done for your good, thats what i am hoping for. Did they discuss your Self Ass with you?

sunnyshine Thu 16-Jul-09 21:07:58

bumping for tonight please!!

sunnyshine Sat 18-Jul-09 18:39:43

weekend bump! any other thoughts?

TheIronLady Sat 18-Jul-09 19:12:26

You may find this helpful; just spotted this link on another 'Childminding forum' shared by wellybelly and Cherry. I am not sure how to do links though:

http://www.southglos.gov.uk/NR/exere...8-346a6545d42d

or http://search.southglos.gov.uk/kbrok...1195&x=15&y=13

If you encounter difficulty, just try typing in risk assessment when you get onto the website and scroll down. Hope it helps.

Numberfour Sun 19-Jul-09 08:58:40

i did not manage to finish my SEF but I don't think that that counted against me (also got good in all areas). if you have not done yours yet, then be sure to read through the format because it is against those headings that you will be assessed.

my inspector also wanted to see "systematic" planning so that all areas of learning and development were covered. this contradicted what my network coordinator said, though - she reckons we only needed to dip into the practice guidance every now and then! I was too worked up when the inspector was here to point that out to her!

i wish I had farmed my own 4 year old out for the day! it was difficult having him around!

sunnyshine Sun 19-Jul-09 11:19:28

thanks. think i am nearly there. the problem is its hard to know what to do as you get so much different information from different places! will keep plodding on!!

thebody Sun 19-Jul-09 13:48:54

To be honest I am so sick of worrying I have decided to relax and just enjoy the actual job of caring for the children.

I think I have all the necessary paperwork but there will obviously be something I havnt done and thats just life.. I am not a qualified child expert and dont pretend to be so.. just a mum and cm.. so what!! good luck to all.

sunnyshine Sun 19-Jul-09 19:41:50

i think you are right! i am still stressing a bit though!!

Ripeberry Sun 19-Jul-09 20:10:32

What's this about signing policies? I just type in my name at the bottom of each policy with a review date.
Does it have to be handwritten?

sunnyshine Mon 20-Jul-09 10:45:29

see ripeberry this is what i mean! no one actuaaly knows!!

sunnyshine Thu 23-Jul-09 18:16:29

got a good! not 100 % happy with risk asseaments but a good is good for me!

shoshe Thu 23-Jul-09 19:43:34

Friend had hers yesterday, she had Risk Assessments in place but was told that they should be dated and done EVERY time she went out, to places we go everyweek.

Was also told she had not got enough, obs and planning although does 3/4 on each child a week (more than me, and I was told I did to much)

And bless her, her 4 year old DS decided to flash the Inspector repeatedly, then her dog (kept out the back) had gastric problems, so was wafting smells through the door and under the Inspectors nose, then had a rather 'loose' bowel in the garden!

She was mortified, and sure she had blown it, but got a good.

She phoned me and I am sorry and slap me but I PMSL.

She was by this morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now