Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

how do i word this without it looking like i`m placing blame?

(4 Posts)
purplesocks Tue 14-Jul-09 12:48:24

hi everyone, i have been working as a nanny for the same lovely family for almost two years now, but its lookng like i may have to hand my notice in

basically, because of a drop in my mb`s work hours, i`ve also had to take a cut in both hours and pay. although they have given me more tme to make up for this, i am now bringing home almost two hundred pounds less a month and simply can`t live on the money i now earn.

i have tried to find an extra days work on my day off, but cannont find anything. i am going to have to look for another full time job and hand my notice in, but how do i word it so it doesn`t look like i`m blaming them for the pay cut? i know it is not their fault and that they had no choice really, and i want to keep things friendly.

thanks!

funnypeculiar Tue 14-Jul-09 12:52:14

Can you just be really bland?
"Due to the unavoidable recent changes in working hours..."
I think if the rest of the letter is lovely and friendly (& you do it in a nice way - assume you'd talk to them when you hand over the letter!) you should be OK

AtheneNoctua Tue 14-Jul-09 12:54:21

Just be upfront and honest. Tell them you need more money to live on. Tell them you'll miss them terribly, but you have to look after your own finances.

I wouldn't be pffended if a nanny said this to me. I would be dissappointed that she/he was leaving, but I wouldn't be mad about it or hold it against her/him.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 14-Jul-09 17:30:20

ask to have a chat with them, say that you have tried to find another job, but havent managed to

say that you love the family, but you cant afford to live off what they are paying, esp if you have had a pay cut of £50 a week ( i couldnt survive that&pay my mortgage etc)

ask if they can offer any suggestions/see if any of their friends would like a one day nanny etc - if not then you will sadly have to look for a new job

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now